Chrome Black-Out'd bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Yeah, I went too dark! lol I was painting it in my garage and it didn't look like enough and I kept adding layers. Maybe I'll try again when I can paint outside ( my neighbors complain usually when I work on my cars )

Ya, I did that the first time on my motorcycles gas cap. You diffenently need to paint outside were you can get multiple angles of "real" light onto what ever your painting. Cause one angle will look like it's not enough, then you look from another angle and it's dark. If you paint outside during the day is the best way I found, cause you get the true lighting onto the surface, so you know exactly how it's gonna look during the day. All about light coats, and getting the correct lighting so you know the true look.

As far as how much you'll need. I really only used 1 can to paint both my bumpers, and multiple motorcycle parts. The stuff goes along ways really, since your just using light layers. I think I only used about 3 really light coats on the bumpers and 1 decently thicker coat for the last shot. But I did end up buying a second pack of the black/chrome and clear coat paint, cause I use alot of clear coats on my bumpers. Wanted to make sure the black paint was fully protected. So... 1 of those boxes should do you just fine with left over paint. Unless you mess up.

Practice on something first before going to whatever it is you plan on painting so you can get the feel of how you need to spray it, and how it applies itself, and how many coats you want for whatever darkness you desire. Hope it helps

WhoDatPanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so hows it holding up white ? im still thinking about doing this but dont want it to fade or chip...

vwbeaner

Reaction score
I saw something on the show Trucks a while ago where the guy was painting chrome and it turned out great. But that guy had all the right tools and has done it for a while. Your stuff looks good. I may have to try it.

NBSTAHOE

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but my 02 tahoe is white, and has had a black grille for a while, I really hate the chrome, it looks tacky to me, so today I’m doing this, will post results when I’m done.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wanted to try black chrome, myself. But you could plastic dip, to see how it looks, that way if you don't like it, you can easily go back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094