Chrome Black-Out'd bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
So I used a new paint product I found the other day, Chrome Black-Out paint. Pretty cool stuff. Bumpers where chrome and didn't like it, so used this paint to add a black-chrome look. tell me what you think

Photo2437.jpg
Photo2436.jpg
Photo2434.jpg
Photo2431.jpg
Photo2430.jpg

Very hard to apply, and very hard to get a good picture of how it "really" looks, just has a weird effect,, and different angles make for different looks of black n chrome. Looks much better in person, but diffenently adds something different to the truck. Really like the way it came out, and no more chrome!!! Something different

Last edited:

WhoDatPanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what is this exactly ??? im confused haha i want to black out my bumpers but i heard its a pain in the arse haha...

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Will post a pic here in a second. But painting chrome is extremely hard, usually you have to sand and marr up the chrome surface to make paint stick to it. But came accross: Dupli-Color Chrome Black-Out paint, that adds a "tint" of black to your chrome, or fully blackens out chrome, but still has that super shine that chrome has that regular paint can't ressemble. I used it on my bike awhile back, and looked amazing, and actually stuck very well. I tried the VHT taillight black paint, which changes chrome to purple, very ugly and doesn't stick right.

This product says to just apply, but I also used a adhesion promotor because it seemed to make the paint stick better for me, and is a clear primer pretty much.

I just cleaned my bumpers with simple green, then Grease and Wax remover, wiped down clean, then used the adhesion promotor, maybe two light coats. Then it's all about really light, even coats of this black-out paint, letting dry inbetween each coat, until you acheive the desired look you want. I practiced on many chrome items prior to doing my bumpers, so I could get the right darkness and look I wanted.
Photo2359.jpg
Photo2360.jpg
Photo2363.jpg

My rear bumper didn't come out as dark as the front so will redo. But that's the good thing about this paint, you can remove and redo without worrying about ruining your bumper like you would if you painted normally. Can go back to chrome if so desired

WhoDatPanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so did you take off your bumpers to do this and does it come off ? like if you washed it a grip or no ?

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was thinking about getting some of this to do my grille and wheels but am skeptical about longevity. cant imangine how mad id be if it started flaking off the grille (got lots of bugs down here) or rims. anyway your job looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny