Chip Retrofit Lawsuit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with a class action suit, you can be assured that, given the circumstances around the time these vehicles were sold, GM (and their massive legal team) will have a multitude of easy ways out of it.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still of the opinion they are banking on a certain percentage of vehicles to never be fixed on GM's dime. Take our 22 we sold back in the fall, missing heated seats and parking sensors. If I'd had bought it, I wouldn't want to wait on GM to install the "chips" for free in a year, I'd jump through hoops and spend whatever (within reason) to get everything working. My "within reason" is probably $500 or less

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just heard Samsung is cutting chip production in order to raise chip prices. It will take forever for GM to get all the work done, and of course they’re going to put the chips into the cars in production right now so they don’t inconvenience twice as many people which would happen if they were to put them in the vehicles already sold. I wouldn’t even count on it happening period at this point. Should have just waited to buy a new rig if you wanted all the bells and whistles. But now you have less to break down!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just heard Samsung is cutting chip production in order to raise chip prices. It will take forever for GM to get all the work done, and of course they’re going to put the chips into the cars in production right now so they don’t inconvenience twice as many people which would happen if they were to put them in the vehicles already sold. I wouldn’t even count on it happening period at this point. Should have just waited to buy a new rig if you wanted all the bells and whistles. But now you have less to break down!
Different chips…they are not cutting production of the ASICs (application specific integrated circuits), they are cutting production of memory chips, specifically flash and DRAM chips, which are commodities. Most of the automotive chips are made by TSMC and Intel anyway. Although Samsung probably has some of the market.

Net, Samsung’s move, if anything might free up space in the fabs for more ASICS.

As for this whole “sue GM for not retrofitting.” Buyers will be on shaky ground; the reason GM gave you cash credit for the “inconvenience” was so that they gave you something of value (consideration) for agreeing to have them perform something later. Read up on contract law. You entered one…only possible argument may be on how long is “later,” but given they have shown evidence of doing the retrofits…my gut says you have no case in court.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RaptorJet31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Couple weeks ago I received the letter from GM about my heated steering wheel. I bought my suburban in Oregon (I live in Norcal), I bugged the hell out of my sales guy the first 6 months with no luck of course. I took the car to a GMC dealer for maintenance and asked if they could look into the retrofit parts. A week later they called and said " we have your steering wheel "
Yesterday I took it in and the replaced the entire steering wheel and reprogrammed the computer.
It has been 1 year 1 month since I bought the suburban .
Too bad summer is coming but happy I finally got what I paid for.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple weeks ago I received the letter from GM about my heated steering wheel. I bought my suburban in Oregon (I live in Norcal), I bugged the hell out of my sales guy the first 6 months with no luck of course. I took the car to a GMC dealer for maintenance and asked if they could look into the retrofit parts. A week later they called and said " we have your steering wheel "
Yesterday I took it in and the replaced the entire steering wheel and reprogrammed the computer.
It has been 1 year 1 month since I bought the suburban .
Too bad summer is coming but happy I finally got what I paid for.
I’d put it on every time I drove just to say I used it…lol

JGinLA

Reaction score
I got a '22 Premier with everything working but the steering wheel doesn't lock and the engine stays cranked at red lights so I'm good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts