Cheap LT Tires....what's the deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my burb I took note that the tires were in good condition, but not that they were a no-name brand. I have Westlake SL369 tires and and I dont have any real issue with them. There is some noise when turning and you're on the side nubs but other than that they seem fine. Weight capacity is on par with usual 10 ply tires....but these things are like 90 bucks each on amazon and get GREAT ratings. What am I missing with these cheapo tires?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're Chinese-made tires. IMHO, they're a crapshoot. My three concerns would be:

1) Quality - some reviews talk about out-of-round tires and difficulty balancing
2) Life - I read 64 reviews on Amazon for 31X10.50R15LT 109Q, and the longest mileage review was 6,000 miles. I'd be skeptical that these tires would last as long as the major brands. I get 50k+ miles out of my Duratracs, and that includes 10-20k miles towing at max tire loads.
3) Load - I'd also be very skeptical that they can handle maximum loads.

In my day job, I sell molded rubber products. I have suppliers both domestic and overseas. The parts from overseas get much more scrutiny in our QC department. We see lower grades of materials, excessive fillers (cheaper than the rubber), inconsistency and sometimes flat-out fraud.

If I had a beater work/farm truck that I use only for myself, I'd probably buy them. But for my family vehicle, towing a heavy trailer with my entire family inside, over thousands of miles in high heat, I want the best tire I can get, and I'm willing to pay for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442