Chassis lubrication?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to buy a grease gun. I searched and found some older posts with links to diagrams on where the grease fittings are- but the links were broken.

Does anyone have a diagram? I want to make sure I don't miss any.

Thanks

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never got any feedback, anyone have something I can look at?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Never greased it yourself before? I never looked at a diagram. I looked for zerks at each ball joint, each tie rod-inner and outer, idler arm at the top where it turns and at the end and at the end of the pitman. If had the u-joints replaced then may be some there.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
here's a working link
http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/f66/gm-gmt800-grease-fitting-locations-1320/

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

does anyone know if any of the grease points on gmt800 are truly sealed? i'm used to watching for old grease to start being pushed out, but "sealed" ones apparently can burst the boot if too much grease is pumped in

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it has a zerk then it is not a sealed joint. Look for the grease to start pushing out and then wipe that excess off. Make sure you clean the zerk before starting to put fresh grease in. The only thing I can think of that may blow open is a u-joint rubber seal that spreads too quickly if too much pressure is used when greasing with new grease.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I disagree. A sealed boot would be like a cv boot that has a clamp at each end to keep grease in and dirt out. A steering/suspension boot may have a ring at the big end but not at the small end. Using that line of thinking then if it has a zerk and you say it is sealed then you would have to say grease evaporates and that is why the zerk is there to replenish the grease. Grease does not evaporate but does heat and get dirty and because it is in a non sealed environment it also comes out. The grease is replaced when we grease the component and even with a "ring" the grease will still push out the other end. IMO

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
makes sense to me, i was surprised by this when i read it. but grease can shrink and components of grease can evaporate! i suppose the article google picked for me is just plain wrong about this. at any rate, i don't need to worry bout that on this truck then

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
To me sealed is sealed at both ends. google can say it is sealed with a ring but the definition lacks some details I am sure. But we all know that if you read it on the internet then it must be TRUE! LOL!!!!

:sunot:

Have a good night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truckinscooby

Latest posts