Changed rear diff fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe 4 x 4 is only meant for straight movement? I think something else is going on because there are Escalades/Denali's that stay in AWD mode all the time. Will test out AUTO when I get a chance to see if I have same issues. Any feedback would be great.

Brental

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like you are on dry pavement. 4wd should not be engaged on dry pavement (I wouldn't even on wet) 4x4 componeats can be damaged. When testing 4wd I always find gravel or grass. The wheels need to be able to slip especially when turning. Auto is not a problem since it only engages 4wd when it detects wheel slippage.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is awesome news! Yea I was on super drive pavement just going up and down my driveway. I had no idea it was that sensitive. So you literally couldnt drive in 4x4 all day if you wanted to? What are all these Denali's and LTZ's doing with always 4x4?! I also have a Murano that has option to go in 4x4 and I dont recall having these type of issues/limitations.

And yes Auto works just like 2wd thus why I never seen a issue/limitation. AT least I know this is how its supposed to be. I guess?

w8s112

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2012 AWD Denali, i replqced my axels fluid 20k ago, iused mobil1 75w90 Synthetic gear lubrecant for both axles, on the rear axle i mix a bottle of GM Fluid 88900330 Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive with mobile oil.
no problems at all and i will do the same after another 30k.

Ronzxcvb

Reaction score
What are all these Denali's and LTZ's doing with always 4x4?! I also have a Murano that has option to go in 4x4 and I dont recall having these type of issues/limitations.
There setup so the front wheels act more like front wheel drive
in true 4 wheel drive the wheels turn at the same speed but the outer wheel has to go a longer distance
that is why it feels like the tires are trying to rip each other apart when you turn on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There setup so the front wheels act more like front wheel drive
in true 4 wheel drive the wheels turn at the same speed but the outer wheel has to go a longer distance
that is why it feels like the tires are trying to rip each other apart when you turn on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive

I'm glad to hear this. So no donuts, crazy 8's or any motions when your steering wheel is fully positioned in one direction when in 4X4. I'm just glad to hear this is how its supposed to be because I was highly concerned something was broke. Just shocked because these issues dont exist on other 4X4 cars, even the ones that are always AWD

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try jegs or amazon they have both the 75w-90 and 80w-90.

I can find the 75w-90 and 80w-90 everywhere. Was only having trouble finding 80w-90 synthetic which I also had trouble finding online but others confirmed 75w-90 synethetic will work fine in the front diff. I have had no issues so far other than the scare when trying to use 4wd to do full circles. Truck drives great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo