catalytic converter deleted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dojrs

Reaction score
Has anyone deleted their catalytic converter(s) and had success with keeping the check engine off ? I had my tahoe tuned after doing a cam swap and the O2 sensor is the only thing tripping the check engine light. I'm currently running long tube headers, NO cats, and a 40 series flowmaster single inlet double outlet muffler. when the mechanic tuned it he told me I didnt need to tune the O2 sensors out completely. Its annoying AF having that damn check engine light on and just want it to go the hell away. I've seen some youtube videos of people using O2 "spacers" / spark plug non foulers and supposedly that keeps the O2 sensor from sensing "dirty" air. It sounds plausible in theory and if it works i'm good with that, however I don't want to waste money on snake oil if it doesn't work.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard these work, but have no personal experience with them. Best bet in my opinion, would be to tune them out, with a tune from @BlackBearPerf . Then you’ll be way ahead of the game as well with a tuned, top running rig, and no CEL either.

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
I’ve heard these work, but have no personal experience with them. Best bet in my opinion, would be to tune them out, with a tune from @BlackBearPerf . Then you’ll be way ahead of the game as well with a tuned, top running rig, and no CEL either.
I would be game for the re-tune, however I don't have the extra free funding at the moment for that. Not to mention the down time it would take.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if a local tuned it already. it should have been tuned for a cam anyways, but go back and ask him to deleted the rear o2's from the tune. its only a few clicks to get done. literally 10 minutes worth of time to do.
This. 100%. I somehow missed the tune part, and caught the cam. lol. Pretty silly to do a cam without a tune. But, people do it..

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Has anyone deleted their catalytic converter(s) and had success with keeping the check engine off ? I had my tahoe tuned after doing a cam swap and the O2 sensor is the only thing tripping the check engine light. I'm currently running long tube headers, NO cats, and a 40 series flowmaster single inlet double outlet muffler. when the mechanic tuned it he told me I didnt need to tune the O2 sensors out completely. Its annoying AF having that damn check engine light on and just want it to go the hell away. I've seen some youtube videos of people using O2 "spacers" / spark plug non foulers and supposedly that keeps the O2 sensor from sensing "dirty" air. It sounds plausible in theory and if it works i'm good with that, however I don't want to waste money on snake oil if it doesn't work.
I’ve always had the rear 02 sensors tuned out when I had em tuned and no issues I cut the cats off everything I get and put Longtubes on

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
Yeah I definitely had to have it tuned when I swapped the cam in. It would not idle to save its life, but I did make a rather large jump in cam size.
I lost interest in the Tahoe mainly due to a busy schedule for the past 2 years and now I've slowed down a little and been picking at it somewhat and getting some things buttoned up. I'll try to throw some pics up in the next few weeks if I get it where I want it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsaget

Latest posts