Can't find fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But--this is what it says for an 04 Tahoe---
IMPORTANT: This vehicle has a lifetime fuel filter built into the fuel sender inside the tank and thus is not serviceable separately. The fuel filter is not a replaceable part.
So if it's not bolted to the ds frame then it's in the tank.
Lifetime filter nice to have. One less fuel filter to change with fuel dripping all over you as you attempt to replace it.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Lifetime filter nice to have. One less fuel filter to change with fuel dripping all over you as you attempted to replace the filter.
Nothing is lifetime! Bought mine with 212k on it, had the original filter. It was so clogged that the truck would stall going up hills because the sediment inside would clog the opening inside of the line. Took awhile to figure that one out.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing is lifetime! Bought mine with 212k on it, had the original filter. It was so clogged that the truck would stall going up hills because the sediment inside would clog the opening inside of the line. Took awhile to figure that one out.
Your in the tank filter was clogged ?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

That's what filters are all about. Think if there wasn't one there, what would been trying to plug your injectors.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Should be one of the first things to get replaced when you buy these trucks. I waited a year and a half because the truck ran perfect and I do not like working around dripping fuel.
Yeah. This is my 1st Tahoe and I figured since it was maintained at a dealership, they would've changed the thing.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes mine had sediment in it as well. Have a fuel filter story coming very soon waiting till I run my tank down to almost empty which should be tomorrow.