can we get some usefull CAI info going?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
As CAI is typicly among the first mods most people do with their vehicle, be it for HP or MPG... I thought maybe we can get some data going (and i saw this discussion going in another unrelated thread here)

A while back Jenna Bear had posted what i found to be the best bit of info i have ever seen on the subject. Black Bear had done some dyno pulls with the leading names in Intake as well as stock and the numbers were very useful.

These numbers are what ultimatly lead me to just us a K&N drop in filter with an aftermarket intake tube, keeping the stock intake box.

The BIG players =
AEM Brute Force
K&N FIPK
Volant
K&N drop in
Stock

The differences =
AEM Brute Force is an open air, cone filter, design eliminating the bottom stock box mounting plate, it is compatable with the factory MAF and features a straight tube design as well as a Dry media filter (this seems to make a lot of people happy)

K&N FIPK is also an open air, cone filter, design and also elimiates the bottom stock box mounting plate. Also compatable with the factory MAF and features a straight tube design (you can get the carbon fiber option tube as well) and uses K&N's famous oiled filter media (some people like, most enthusiest call this a hinderance)

The Volant is somewhat unique in that it is a closed box design, however it completely replaces the facotry setup front to back useing only the factory MAF. The air box is typicly larger and has air intakes in the "stock" location as well as behind the head light and underneth where the factory mounting plate used to be. It features a dry media air filter (shap varies from model to model) as well as a straight tube designe.

K&N drop in is exactly what it sounds like, its a factory size K&N high flow air filter that simply replaces your factory air filter while still utalizing all the original factory components.

Stock... well... if these needs explaining, remove yourself from the gene pool

Last edited:

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as volant goes we claim 20hp two guys garage pulled a 23hp gain on my own tahoe (2000 4x4 with 20in wheels) I saw a 1 mpg gain without the ram air tube a 3 mpg gain with the ram tube on 87 oct with 91 oct I saw a slight increase in mpg but no seat of the pants power. The part numbers are 15153 for the wet filter 151536 for the 100,000 maintance free oil free filter and the ram air scoop is 35853 and can be added anytime or I have many customers fab there own. Many people ask what the difference between the wet and dry filters is, The wet filter comes from AFE or S&B depending on who has it in stock they filter down to .008 micron or .005 micron if you run the 51906 prefilter they need to be reoiled every 10,000 and cleaned every 50,000 or when the dirt builds up over the wire mesh, The Dry filter comes from Donaldson and filters down to .001 micron thart 99.99% its better than OEM and is just like the filter being used in the Z06, Duramax, Powerstroke even the Blackhawk has one it is truely a put it in and for get it 100,000 filter, This is the filter I use in my own Tahoe and my ISO test has come back much cleaner. If you have another manufactures intake but you would like to upgrade the filter to the powercore we have 17 different part numbers that will fit most apps, Here is the like to the 2 guys vid its under silverado http://www.volant.com/commviewer.asp
If you have any questions free free to ask thanks Daniel

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bardy.....where are the "numbers" you mentioned for each set-up?

Volant - What is the flow of the Donaldson dry versus the wet filters?

Thanks

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
well i have no numbers as i am mearly an inthusiest... however there are a few guys (gals) hanging around this site that do have some data ragarding most or all of these setups. I was mearly supplying a launching point for the information with what i already know.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809

here is another CAI thread going right now that i think will also provide some important info

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked for Justin for those in another post im intrested to see his dyno results vs the ones ive seen if he sends them I will be sure to share

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

The donaldson filter will out flow the oil base filters all day long but the hp numbers are the same if you are worried about CFM. We have several customers running very low 1/4's with our kits if you want exact flow bench numbers I can grab them for you, just remember a flow bench is different than a tahoe

Bardy.....where are the "numbers" you mentioned for each set-up?

Volant - What is the flow of the Donaldson dry versus the wet filters?

Thanks

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
from what i have seen over the last year or two, Dry media will out flow oiled media all day long. I use a K&N which is obviously oiled for the simple fact that its the highest flow filter you can buy for a drop in application which i am using... once i switch to a full CAI, i will switch to dry media for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kkkkpppp