Can rear camera mirror be added after delivered to dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tenscourts

Reaction score
In my experience the dealerships aren't going to touch anything that isn't officially supported or offered by gm so they probably won't add this after the fact but it's completely plug and play with the right parts. I have the mirror and cable installed and I tested it with the camera. My issue is I got parts directly from a dealership website and not used from eBay. The housing that holds the cameras is missing a piece of plastic that secures the cameras in place si can't finish my install. Dealerships are Litt help as they only want to view parts by VIN and this wasn't optional as part of my Z71. I may have to buy something used off eBay to get the plastic plate I'm missing.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience the dealerships aren't going to touch anything that isn't officially supported or offered by gm so they probably won't add this after the fact but it's completely plug and play with the right parts. I have the mirror and cable installed and I tested it with the camera. My issue is I got parts directly from a dealership website and not used from eBay. The housing that holds the cameras is missing a piece of plastic that secures the cameras in place si can't finish my install. Dealerships are Litt help as they only want to view parts by VIN and this wasn't optional as part of my Z71. I may have to buy something used off eBay to get the plastic plate I'm missing.
go pull a VIN off of cars.com or Cargurus for a vehicle with it, take that to the parts department

Tenscourts

Reaction score
I added the mirror and camera but it's been a pain. I still haven't reinstalled the trim because I'm trying to find the right one parts to get the washer nozzle connected. I started by buying the cable from eBay that runs the length of the vehicle. I then ordered the mirror, camera, license plate lamp assembly that houses the cameras, the spray nozzle, and a washer fluid hose. The mirror was an easy swap and ran the cable to the rear. I tested that the mirror worked with the camera plugged in. Pulled all the trim off and then the outside panel on the lift gate. Removed the camera housing and began to migrate the existing and new cameras into the new housing. Turns out the new housing didn't come with the back plate to hold the cameras in place so what should have been a $40 piece of plastic turned into a $175 complete housing with cameras etc. off of eBay. When that finally came in I pretty might tore that harness apart and configured a new one that included my new camera, my original existing camera, and the feed hose for the washer nozzle. To be clear I could not use the ebay harness as is because the connectors were different from what was on my Tahoe. The cameras were the same but the connectors at the vehicle end of the harness were not. I'm guessing the assembly I got was maybe for an escalade or something. Anyway after all that I have a fully functioning rear view camera mirror. I'm still trying to find the correct hose to tie in the washer nozzle to the rest of the washer fluid hose that feeds up to the rear wiper. Until then I've left the interior trim from the lift gate off so I don't have to remove it again. If the back plate on the new camera housing had been included I could have done this for around $800. With the ebay assembly I bought I'm closer to $1000. But that did include the washer nozzle feed tube I wouldn't have had other wise. It would be nice to find someone who has a high country or something with all this already in place willing to disassemble it and get all the specific part numbers but I doubt anyone is willing to do that.

Tenscourts

Reaction score
Here is a video I made from my install and some of the issues I ran into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC