Cam size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock springs and pushrods are marginal with an all-stock setup. For the minimal cost, LS6 springs and thicker/hardened pushrods are cheap insurance and, IMO, are a necessity with even a small performance cam.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The stock springs and pushrods are marginal with an all-stock setup. For the minimal cost, LS6 springs and thicker/hardened pushrods are cheap insurance and, IMO, are a necessity with even a small performance cam.
I had these upgrades done with my cam, along with a new oil pump.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock GM L59 5.3L valve springs are rated at a .530 lift and I ran these springs without any problems whatsoever for a long while until I upgraded to my 799 heads that were decked.030 and CNC ported. With these heads I chose to go with the Z06 blue springs with a .565 Max lift. Then I chose to go to a 1.8 full roller rocker instead of the 1.7 which increased my lift to .555 lift on both intake and exhaust

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock valve springs (12589774) are good for .520 lift. that Howard's Camshaft is .525 and Summit does recommend new springs.
I’m not seeing where you say that Summit recommends a valve spring upgrade for this cam. Are you sure that you are viewing the correct camshaft? In fact for this specific camshaft it says that valve springs are not required. Here’s a picture. Anyone can recommend anything but it’s not required. Hell I’d recommend that we all have twin turbos but it’s not required

2B65FED2-D331-4805-9B41-1F716F349018.png

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I would recommend the Z06 springs simply for the cost. Mine cost $65 installed and I would recommend a stronger pushrod i.e. trick flow or comp cams. These do cost a little more ($100)but as stated earlier it’s good insurance

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Tom, I clicked on the link you provided via my PC. In the Q&A Summit recommends valve springs and Pace Performance's website was where I recorded the max lift of the various springs.

There is a terrible amount of conflicting information out in cyberspace and that being said if yours is holding up well then the combination should be promoted and considered by those looking to do the same. How much horsepower and torque did you gain, assuming you were able to measure the results?

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
I just had a lifter get stuck. I replaced the cam I use the melling MTC - 7 and it works great all I had to do was upgrade the springs and put the rest of it back together. The specs on it we're much similar to a low-end crane cam. I have a slight idle problem which is normal when you change the cam but once it gets warmer I will be able to get it tuned with the guy over at the diablosport forums. If you do any cam upgrade you will more than likely need to get it tuned to make you completely happy. Besides you'll get so much performance and efficiency increase with it it's actually worth it I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali