Broken Hazard Button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcquack2

Reaction score
Don't Brake Your HAZARD BUTTON!

So I was test fitting a new instrument cluster I have, and in doing so I bumped and broke the hazard button on top of the steering column. This has been headache for a year now.

Bad news, in order to replace it, you must replace the entire steering column. Atleast according to the dealership, and they'd charge $458 to do it.

The good news is that I didn't sheer it off, so if I keep pressure on it, holding it down, the turn signals work. If you look at my attached pic, I've been using electrical tape to keep applied pressure on it.
There's a side effect to it. The tape fluctuates the pressure it holds when the temperature fluctuates outside. So sometimes I wake up in the morning or a get a knock on my door from good neighbors, and I discover my hazards are flashing.

So $3 for a roll of tape or $458 for a new steering column. What would you do?

Attachments

• Stock Gauges 2013-01-28_10-24-04_953.jpg
    Stock Gauges 2013-01-28_10-24-04_953.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 27

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A whole column for a little red button??? who was the Quack who designed that

OP
OP
mcquack2

mcquack2

Reaction score
Its totally crazy. As for the Quack, I promise it wasn't my brother who designs for GM. He works in chevy's car dept. He works on the Camaro & Corvette.

OP
OP
mcquack2

mcquack2

Reaction score
I totally agree. I've been putting it off on finding a better solution. What I need is some type of belt or something to go around it. Something that holds continuous pressure on it, but still be able to move off the button if I actually need to activate my hazard lights.

I might try making something out of fabric and elastic to go around it. I have some metal wire I could try.

Either way, your right, I need to try and do something better.

josueh95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same situation happened to me as y removed my cluster once..my solution was sticking a small cap down to hold it in place but make it get stuck under the gap..if i ever need my blinkers i just press down to release the pressure and remove it and place it back on when im done..i know its not the best but like you said its eighter that or $450

heres a pic of mine
2013-01-28211012.jpg
2013-01-28211040.jpg

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Wow glad my silvi never had this problem. I still replaced the steering colum....

Bigsteve04Ho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure u can just replace the multifunction switch. Not the whole column

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
Yup, just replace the multifunction switch, and you should be good to go, ebay has some new ones for around 60 bucks, advance has them for 150 or so. Not hard to replace either. You don't have to remove the wheel, just remove the upper and lower column plastic and there it is.

OP
OP
mcquack2

mcquack2

Reaction score
Yup, just replace the multifunction switch, and you should be good to go, ebay has some new ones for around 60 bucks, advance has them for 150 or so. Not hard to replace either. You don't have to remove the wheel, just remove the upper and lower column plastic and there it is.

Haven't checked back on this thread in over a month. Stupid of me, because I see that you have a great idea there. I'll let you guys know if it works out for me or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts