Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Exhaust Manifold

So, I have a 2003 Tahoe with a couple bolts broken on my exhaust manifold, making an annoying ticking noise. I was looking online and on other forums and I found a brand of bolt repair kits online. They had really good testimonials and feed back, so I ordered one. If anyone has heard of the K.A.P Bolt Repair Kits or have used them, let me know what your thoughts are.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a couple bolts broken in my exhaust manifold in my 2003 Tahoe. I don't have the money to go into a shop to get everything replaced, but I did come across a much cheaper and simpler way to fix the problem. There is a repair kit with the brand, Kral Auto Parts. It definetly looks promising!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
You need a extractor. Some people use left hand drill bits they've never worked for me tho..

Gshep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just put the front and rear ones on my 04 Yukon and the tickig stopped.... It works... you may have to trim the exhaust heat shield, going from the fender wells is by far the best way, save yourself some time and pain get a die grinder to do the trimming, remove the dip stick bracket to give yorself some room. If you take off the hat shield you might break a few of the bolts as I did. Spray some WD40 in the holes and clean them out some and use Anti Seize. I thought I had a lifter going out but when I noticed the bolts broken I ordered the complete kit for both sides I think about 180 bucks total. It does work... Glad I bought them.

Drivers side rear I can see will be a real pain to get my hand in there. So that update will follow.... Pass side front and rear is fairly simple.

I just did the drivers rear braket and it took me 1 1/2 hrs, For my truck it was easier to go from the bottom, so I put it up on some ramps and you can see where the holes are but there is not a lot of room, once you get the bolts started is half the battle.

Trying to get a socket in there with extentions and swivels was useless. would have had better luck playing pickup sticks with my butt cheeks than try that again.

One wrench is worth having is the pivot end type. First time I used these wrenches and let me say it made my day to have them. Flex-GearWrench 17mm The front bolt is not broken so I will leave it alone for now. pass side was gravy, drivers rear will probably be your hard one. I know when you have your truck on ramps it will be hard to reach so use a small ladder. Just be sure you do not tighten the bracket bolts without first tightening the one that goes agiainst the manifold first...... I will run the truck a few days and check for tightness. So good luck....

Update on 9/17.... Did some traveling this weekend and put on about 600 miles and all is well. rechecked tightness and all is well. Very good product all noises are gone now.

Last edited:

swartlkk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you are lucky, you can find that just the heads popped off the bolts and you can use an external extractor to pull the rest of the bolt out of the head. If you are unlucky, you will need to drill the bolts & use an internal extractor.

I have replaced the exhaust manifold bolts on three vehicles; 2004 Tahoe 5.3L LM7, 2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L LQ4, and my 2009 Yukon Denali 6.2L L9H. Both of the 2004 trucks required drilling. My Denali only had 2 broken (rearmost on both sides) and I was able to use an external extractor.

If only your rear most bolts are broken, there are "repair" brackets that can be installed to cinch it back down again. From the looks of the ones available online, they look well made. However, knowing the space available to install them, it would be quite challenging to get the bolts into the back of the head.

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought and installed the left rear Bracket clamp assy. It is tight and fiddly but it does fit and really does work. The instructions are good and i found i had to take the heat shield off (easy)On the fire wall,4-10mm nuts.I worked from the top and the bottom ,remove front drive shaft.I also glued the lock washers on the bolts due to fact it is real easy to drop the bolts when trying to install and turn the bolts ,but it can be done.And the good part is no more leak.I also made two clamp brackets for left and right side for the middle bolts because drilling was not working.

Yukie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts on drivers side on an 03 Denali. Was able to take out other bolts and pull exhaust manifold far enough away from the head to find the broken bolts still have about 1/4" sticking out. Was able to remove them with vice grips. Very tedious because they have plenty of thread lock and it took a while. Replaced the old bolts with high grade bolts, but should have gotten exhaust type bolts because these seem to loosen after a few months...

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought and installed the left rear Bracket clamp assy. It is tight and fiddly but it does fit and really does work. The instructions are good and i found i had to take the heat shield off (easy)On the fire wall,4-10mm nuts.I worked from the top and the bottom ,remove front drive shaft.I also glued the lock washers on the bolts due to fact it is real easy to drop the bolts when trying to install and turn the bolts ,but it can be done.And the good part is no more leak.I also made two clamp brackets for left and right side for the middle bolts because drilling was not working.

This!!! I also removed the first oxygen sensor which gave me more room to snake my arm up in there. Bottom of the truck is easiest. Ratcheting wrenches are a must!

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it help to heat the bolts before attempting to remove them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909