Brembo Brake Upgrade. WARNING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As you can see from my Avatar, the previous owner of my Z-71 Tahoe put a seven-spoke wheel on the front passenger tire (I am not sure why, but if you look at the step bar on that side it is bent too).

I got a six-spoke wheel and had them mount a 22 inch spare the same diameter as the stock 17 spare (I think it is a 255/45R22. However, from what I am reading the hole in the OEM wheel may not be sufficient to accommodate the hoist? Is that correct?

I see the pics with the black wheel above...can I flip my spare to face up and protect it or is there something under the back that might scratch it? Can someone please show me some pics?

Also, I read something this from a GM website:

"1/2 ton, with 22 wheel. Spare Wheel Hoist Package - For Use With 22in Wheel Only. A Spare Wheel Hoist Package is required when installing 22-inch wheels on a full-size SUV that has not come from the factory with this size wheel. The hoist holds up the spare tire beneath the SUV and is capable of handling the additional loads put on your vehicle when 22-inch wheels are installed.

Thank you,

Tom

Last edited:

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got this upgrade to my Callaway Tahoe there were warning labels everywhere saying the standard spare will not fit over the GM Performance/Brembo calipers. Many owners have upgraded to a larger wheel spare and it still fits in the stock location

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ yup. i have a 22" transit wheel for my spare
fits fine, no issues

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The winch/hoist for the spare utilizes the center of the wheel for leverage - any 16"-22" rim that has our bolt pattern is going to fit under the truck. You remove the wheel's decorative center cap to mount onto the hoist.

Tire size - I'm pretty sure the spare tire can go all the way up to 34" diameter without rubbing any underside components. I'm running an 18" spare wheel with 34.25" diameter tire. At the moment, need to trim a little piece of plastic so that I can get my rear hitch cover to lock in place. Currently, the 295/70r18 spare is touching the plastic clip for the cover.

Yes - you can use a 22" wheel with your choice of tire as a spare. If you get the exact wheel and tire as your existing 4, you can have the spare move into the tire rotation as well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972