Boosting a dead battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donf

Reaction score
Had to replace a leaky switch to the vacuum pump on a Volvo, somehow I managed to leave the pump on. Battery was really, really dead. Unfortunately it was a year old Volvo brand battery, hate to think what they charged me. Anyway, my charger i in storage and I can't get to it. So I fired up the Tahoe and connected it to the top posts. Didn't seem to get much charge even after 30 minutes. Enough to barely start it. Then I left the DRLs on.........
So the second time I thought, maybe I should connect my jumpers tothe side posts on the Tahoe.
Seemed to havemore juice, felt much stronger when I started the Volvo that time.
Opinions?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First, always attach jumper cables to the jump battery first and then attach the positive jumper to the dead battery positive first and then the negative. There are other ways to attach both negatives but I will not go in to that now. So, jump battery first, then dead battery positive and then dead battery negative. When you attach any cables make sure their connector clamps are not touching.

When you attach at the battery(s), wiggle the clamp a little to dig the clamp teeth in to the battery cable end. Gets a better connection that way. The top posts are just as good a connection as the side post and are easier to attach battery cable clamps. When you have a very dead battery it needs to charge a bit before start attempt because the initial start draws a lot of power from the jump battery system. When waiting for it to charge you can rev the engine a bit to induce more jump power in to the dead battery. Also, clean and tight connections of all battery cables at the batteries is important.

Lots of you tube videos about this

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to replace a leaky switch to the vacuum pump on a Volvo, somehow I managed to leave the pump on. Battery was really, really dead. Unfortunately it was a year old Volvo brand battery, hate to think what they charged me. Anyway, my charger i in storage and I can't get to it. So I fired up the Tahoe and connected it to the top posts. Didn't seem to get much charge even after 30 minutes. Enough to barely start it. Then I left the DRLs on.........
So the second time I thought, maybe I should connect my jumpers tothe side posts on the Tahoe.
Seemed to havemore juice, felt much stronger when I started the Volvo that time.
Opinions?
jumping it from a vehicle wont charge it any faster than if you had it connected to a charger, waste of time, you are probably better off just dropping it off at a autoparts store under the guise of having it tested and they will charge it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645