BOLO - 6.2 Avalanche and Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
totally different year but doesn't gm do this alot? guy at work has a 90s 1500 reg cab 2wd with a turbo diesel in it. some places i go to look for him says his truck doesn't exist. he also told me getting inspections can be difficult as some shops dont believe him. it seems more like gm is like crap we have extra #### f it shove it in whatever.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
totally different year but doesn't gm do this alot? guy at work has a 90s 1500 reg cab 2wd with a turbo diesel in it. some places i go to look for him says his truck doesn't exist. he also told me getting inspections can be difficult as some shops dont believe him. it seems more like gm is like crap we have extra #### f it shove it in whatever.
As I understand, that motor is widely hated and renown as being a big piece of garbage. I dont think they were very reliable, and thus not very popular.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand, that motor is widely hated and renown as being a big piece of garbage. I dont think they were very reliable, and thus not very popular.

Uh, blasphemy! Those are great motors but they are not high rpm race motors, they are low rpm torque monsters designed to work, not race. Still in production.

They were widely used in 1500 series trucks in the 1980s (square body and 6.2 motor) and 1990s (GMT400).

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, blasphemy! Those are great motors but they are not high rpm race motors, they are low rpm torque monsters designed to work, not race. Still in production.

They were widely used in 1500 series trucks in the 1980s (square body and 6.2 motor) and 1990s (GMT400).

Is it the same diesel they put in the burbs of the era? I had it on good authority from a true chevy guy that he wouldnt own one of those if his life depended on it. And he's got a dmax, so he's got a good one to boot.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it the same diesel they put in the burbs of the era? I had it on good authority from a true chevy guy that he wouldnt own one of those if his life depended on it. And he's got a dmax, so he's got a good one to boot.

Yes, they were several versions in natural and turbo-charged configurations. Those motors are not Duramaxes and don't run anything like them. But operated within the profile in which they were designed they are great engines. I drove the gran-daddy of those, an old D-Block 350 diesel in my Oldsmobile for years and it was one of my favorite engines. Wish I still had it.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they were several versions in natural and turbo-charged configurations. Those motors are not Duramaxes and don't run anything like them. But operated within the profile in which they were designed they are great engines. I drove the gran-daddy of those, an old D-Block 350 diesel in my Oldsmobile for years and it was one of my favorite engines. Wish I still had it.
I didnt mean to imply that the old diesel was the dmax, just that he had experience in the GM truck diesels.

The olds was also a hot piece of garbage from what I've seen over time. But that was more related to user error and not following proper maintenance.

If you like youtube, check out car wizard. He's putting an olds diesel in a late 60s caddy brougham. 0-60 in 30 seconds, but I bet it would be smooth as hell.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt mean to imply that the old diesel was the dmax, just that he had experience in the GM truck diesels.

The olds was also a hot piece of garbage from what I've seen over time. But that was more related to user error and not following proper maintenance.

If you like youtube, check out car wizard. He's putting an olds diesel in a late 60s caddy brougham. 0-60 in 30 seconds, but I bet it would be smooth as hell.

My Cutlass ran 21.63 @ 63 MPH in the 1/4 mile all night long, every pass. Great bracket car! And I used to deliver pizzas in it when my Buick was down for repairs.

Yep, people hated the Olds diesel too but it was great to us. I didn't try to spin the motor to redline every day, even while racing, and kept the fluids and air filter clean.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, people hated the Olds diesel too but it was great to us. I didn't try to spin the motor to redline every day, even while racing, and kept the fluids and air filter clean.

Yeah I guess they (the populous) just didnt know how to treat it like a diesel since it wasn't very common. Funny you mention this I just recently watched the motorweek retro review on the Olds 98 Diesel. What a boat. But it also adds new indicator lights that the common folk didnt know how to manage like the WAIT FOR START, and WATER IN FUEL....both bad things for a diesel if you dont resepct and understand them.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't, maybe it's something that GM had plans for but never pursued. You know owner's manual are very universal*.
Thinking about owner’s manual, don’t think i ever opened one for any of my vehicle lol.
* Excluding Hybrid 6.0L engines
fixed it for you

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess they (the populous) just didnt know how to treat it like a diesel since it wasn't very common. Funny you mention this I just recently watched the motorweek retro review on the Olds 98 Diesel. What a boat. But it also adds new indicator lights that the common folk didnt know how to manage like the WAIT FOR START, and WATER IN FUEL....both bad things for a diesel if you dont resepct and understand them.

That "wait light" later came in handy for letting fuel pumps prime and still later, letting the computers boot and synch up before starting the engine.

My wife would have all kinds of electrical gremlins but I never did. When I asked if she followed my advice to wait a couple of seconds before starting the car she said no. Eventually she listened and the problems went away!

I loved my 98 Regency! We had an '80 Delta 88 with the Rocket 350 too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63