Boiled battery - voltage too high?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm having a similar issue with my 2011 Tahoe. I'm on the 3rd set of batteries in 6 years (mine is a PPV with dual batteries). On the two prior sets the aux battery actually blasted acid against the interior of the body and all over the windshield washer bottle. I swapped them out for AGM batteries, however the emergency vents keep popping and a greasy substance leaked from the AGM battery in the aux tray. I am replacing the washer bottle now (it's falling apart) and will look into this problem further. The last time I checked the voltage it varied from 12.4V in maintenance mode to 15.5V in charge mode. I do have an intermittent problem with the steering wheel position sensor which is throwing up codes and triggering a stabilitrak warning. Would a failure of the steering wheel position sensor cause the truck to enter charge mode?

Thank you!
ADD a subwoof this will drop your voltage :D as people seem to complain that it lowers the voltage too much... another thing is the battery current sensor could be broken or malfunctioning(i.e it's reading current that is higher then it's actually pulling hence the higher voltage?)
this will default to a "max" charging mode

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have an intermittent problem with the steering wheel position sensor which is throwing up codes and triggering a stabilitrak warning. Would a failure of the steering wheel position sensor cause the truck to enter charge mode?

I don’t see how your position sensor would impact charge mode. I do know that there is a chance that you have some corrosion in your steering position sensor harness plug that could be causing your issue. It may also just be in the verge of failing. Might be worth checking the connections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n