Body roll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowBall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently purchased 2017 Yukon Denali 4WD has excessive roll on corners. Seeking advice on if sway bars or shocks and struts should resolve this. It's been through a used car inspection at the dealer and they state everything looks great and that the suspension is aftermarket, which might explain the ride quality.

Looking for pointers on where to begin addressing this.

I found some sway bar info through Hellwig that state to address this type of issue.

Thanks folks

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start with the aftermarket suspension. I have the same truck and it handles great on all driving and cornering.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is aftermarket on the suspension?
Sway bars are a world of difference when it comes to turns, especially the front sway bar. I just recently installed a Hellwig on the front and no more front push while turning into corners.
I already had a Hotchkiss sway bar on the rear, but that was a slight upgrade.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased 2017 Yukon Denali 4WD has excessive roll on corners. Seeking advice on if sway bars or shocks and struts should resolve this. It's been through a used car inspection at the dealer and they state everything looks great and that the suspension is aftermarket, which might explain the ride quality.

Looking for pointers on where to begin addressing this.

I found some sway bar info through Hellwig that state to address this type of issue.

Thanks folks
Plenty of positive feedback on Hellwig sway bars on this forum. I haven’t tried them myself but it’s on my eventually list

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been through a used car inspection at the dealer and they state everything looks great and that the suspension is aftermarket, which might explain the ride quality.

If I were you I’d go back to the dealership that informed you that the current suspension is aftermarket and ask them to put it back up on the lift in their service bay and show you which parts/components of your suspension are aftermarket.

While under there you need to take pictures, especially if you can identify any brand name of parts with specific part numbers.

The statement of “aftermarket” from the dealer is a broad stroke. Could mean OEM replacement parts that just aren’t “GM” brand. Could mean an aftermarket performance part designed to perform differently than OEM or OEM replacements.

Regardless, if you’re going to head down the path of finding out why your vehicle is handling the way it is and work towards fixing or improving it your first step is identifying what exact “aftermarket” or otherwise suspension parts are currently installed on your vehicle.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^x2^^^^^

There's an old saying that if you don't know where you are, you can't get to where you'd like to go.

Start with finding out what you've got for a suspension now.

IMO, the OEM suspension for your truck is a great suspension, so it would be great to know if you in fact have an OEM suspension, or if it has been modified. The OEM suspension is an active suspension, where the stiffness of each individual shock is adjusted automatically and continuously to match road and your driving conditions (like going around curves, applying the brakes, etc.).

Regarding sway bars, I'm sold on the Hellwig brand. They virtually eliminate body roll, and could be considered for your use, once your existing suspension is identified.

OP
OP
SnowBall

SnowBall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Plenty of positive feedback on Hellwig sway bars on this forum. I haven’t tried them myself but it’s on my eventually list
Did you lower your Yukon and how did that impact handling?

OP
OP
SnowBall

SnowBall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I were you I’d go back to the dealership that informed you that the current suspension is aftermarket and ask them to put it back up on the lift in their service bay and show you which parts/components of your suspension are aftermarket.

While under there you need to take pictures, especially if you can identify any brand name of parts with specific part numbers.

The statement of “aftermarket” from the dealer is a broad stroke. Could mean OEM replacement parts that just aren’t “GM” brand. Could mean an aftermarket performance part designed to perform differently than OEM or OEM replacements.

Regardless, if you’re going to head down the path of finding out why your vehicle is handling the way it is and work towards fixing or improving it your first step is identifying what exact “aftermarket” or otherwise suspension parts are currently installed on your vehicle.
Thanks, I'll get back in their shop for pictures and the details since they made that blanket statement. I think they said they couldn't make out the brand. Will see what I can get.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you lower your Yukon and how did that impact handling?
as already stated, the first thing that should be done here is determine "what has been done already" as there could be all kinds of different things going on.
I would get under it and take pictures and post them up here, then we can better assist you.
take pictures of both front corners wheels turned out so we can see the control arms and coils/shocks then from under it so we can see the sway bar and end links.
rear take pictures of the axle, springs/shocks and sway bar best way is under it from the center of the axle looking at the backside of the wheel area
this will tell us a lot
then scan the QR code on the door/pillar and or glove box and screen shot the rpo code list

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan