black paint fade and rust restoration help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my Tahoe for a few years, been basically a work truck/family hauler. Mostly work. Since our last move though, about a year and a half ago, I have no longer been traveling for work.
I wasn't traveling far, two hours each way. Typically an over night stay, depending on the work load. All highway miles.
I noticed I have tons of rock chips on my hood and just recently noticed my roof is rusting as well. With a nice haze to my black paint which looks almost grey.

I purchased a few things to try and help with bringing my paint back and protect it as well.
I found one of these Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen to help with an easy application and to keep the mess to a minimum.
I also got some of these Chemical Guys Hex-Logic 5.5" Best Buffing Pads Kit 8 Items BUF_HEXKITS_8P to use with my Rupes Duetto.
I was looking at Chemical Guys GAPVKIT16 V Line Polish and Compound Kit to get me started but wanted to get opinions and experience from others and what they used.
I like the Chemical guys just because it seems to be a complete package deal and seem to be reasonably priced.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm ashamed it has gotten this far, actually its quite embarrassing.
Is it repairable? Is it possible to get it to shine again?
I think some serious paint correction is going to be need.

paint-4.jpg paint-3.jpg paint-2.jpg paint-1.jpg

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last one of the roof from my kitchen.
The black cover that goes over the lift gate is pretty faded as well.
May just buy a new one to replace it.

paint-5.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My paint is pretty good but keep getting rock chips, found a bunch of new ones since the last tank of fuel. Got some on the roof as well. Looking forward to the suggestions! Ughh!

Last edited:
OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking around I have seen quite a few videos on repairing old faded black paint.
Going to be a lot of paint correction, that's for sure. Wet sanding, wet sanding and more wet sanding.

Now I need to find some info on repairing rock chips. Anyone?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, check this out. This is the pen I had mentioned and will using to repair some of my chips.

Skip to 10:20

Great video from AMMO NYC. Skip to 8:46 for a nice comparison side by side shot. Its pretty amazing.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You def need one of these.20180503_193420.jpg 20180503_193430.jpg
Works good for rock chips. It has a fiberglass tip that'll clean out the chip area/center, so you can fill it in with touch up.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this to be rather interesting on his processes and procedures to repair chips.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You def need one of these.View attachment 203007 View attachment 203008
Works good for rock chips. It has a fiberglass tip that'll clean out the chip area/center, so you can fill it in with touch up.

Thanks Tony
That's pretty slick. I'll be looking for one of them.

Check out what Larry (from AMMO NYC) used, pretty clever. No. 02 pencil and punched out sand paper with hole punch and super glued it to the eraser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645