Black Betty 2018 Z71 Silverado....build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks a lot like a place here in the Columbia River Gorge, Mount Defiance. When I was young, my dad had a two way radio transmitter up there for the loggers as part of his communication business. In the summer we used to 4-wheel to the top to the lookout tower where the transmitter and tower we built was. You can’t drive up there any longer, they put a gate up but you can get within a couple miles and then hike the rest of the way. In winter we took snowmobiles up with a trailer to bring propane up for the solar generator but it was super hard, the snow would get 15 feet deep so he bought a snowcat like they use at the ski resorts. One year we were going across a side slope and tossed a track and had to hike a few miles back to the truck, following the snowcat tracks but still sinking up to our waists. Things like this are why I don’t 4-wheel in the snow anymore. Got stuck in places that almost killed me too many times. If you go, be careful and pay attention to the forecast. I see here this weekend the Cascades are expecting 2-3 feet of snow and winds 40-50 mph. It’s the kind of weather that catches adventurers by surprise and they get in but can’t get back out. :)
Probably wouldn't go up there until late spring at the soonest, I am sure there is several feet of snow up there right now, recently the snow level was down to 1000ft and that trail goes up to almost 7000ft the snow up in the sierra's can be crazy Donner pass is not that far from here and most people have heard that story.
I think we are going to go up and play in the snow tomorrow though at a place that has a innertube run kids will love that, probably be a million people up there since there is fresh snow

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably wouldn't go up there until late spring at the soonest, I am sure there is several feet of snow up there right now, recently the snow level was down to 1000ft and that trail goes up to almost 7000ft the snow up in the sierra's can be crazy Donner pass is not that far from here and most people have heard that story.
I think we are going to go up and play in the snow tomorrow though at a place that has a innertube run kids will love that, probably be a million people up there since there is fresh snow
Yeah I wanna take my dog up to play in the snow, gonna do that soon. I need to find a place that’s safe to get to but not full of people. The back route to Mt Hood I used to drive has been closed due to the wildfires 2 years ago so I need another option. I like to go to some place I’m familiar with though so just in case something happens I know where I am.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wanna take my dog up to play in the snow, gonna do that soon. I need to find a place that’s safe to get to but not full of people. The back route to Mt Hood I used to drive has been closed due to the wildfires 2 years ago so I need another option. I like to go to some place I’m familiar with though so just in case something happens I know where I am.
should be plenty of places around Mt Hood beautiful area been skiing up there before

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I figured I better get the ss3 installed tonight before we get another week of stormy weather that starts tomorrow
mounting the ss3 as instructed made me have a light pattern that curved up to the right (both lights) so I flipped the left side light over and tried to adjust the brackets as much as I could without modifications to make the light pattern more horizontal, there is still a slight curve up to the right but it's only noticeable on the wall.
pictures are not the best my camera had a hard time focusing.
possible modifications could include dremeling the mounting brackets a little to enable a better horizontal adjustment
install note: once these are mounted it is pretty much impossible to tighten the outside edge mounting bolt, as such- just tighten these up as much as you can by hand before installing them on the bumper because they only get "so tight" anyway and you can still move them by hand to adjust the vertical.
HEAD.jpgHEAD1.jpgHEAD2.jpgHEAD3.jpgHEAD4.jpg

Last edited: