Big 3 Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I took it out for the first drive with the big 3 and there’s a noticeable difference to me. That being said the yukon is my only vehicle so I’m pretty in tune with how it drives. As doubeleive noted it idles smoother, especially on a cold start. Also the trans shifts smoother and faster. Not sure about radio improvement because I currently have no head unit in it. I don’t really think it’s a placebo effect either. Not sure why but hey I’m not complaining

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the off chance I'm wrong about the external regulator, just so were clear, I know its that way on the pickups. I was only assuming its the same on the SUVs. I think it is, but if someone knows better that for some reason its different, I'm all ears.

The e-fans use about 25-30 amps on the 2005-2007 classic fans. The NNBS fans use a little more. That was a big jump, so yeah, that could be why they went to the external regulator.

Something I never see mentioned with the big 3 is the negative battery terminal. I added one of the gold plated terminals for few bucks (because of the stereo), and my vehicle NOTICEABLY starts much quicker. It went from a 1 1/2 - 2 second cranking to about 1/4-1/2 second. It may not matter at all in the long run, but I figure I'm putting less wear on the battery, starter, and engine.
If I was in a cold weather climate where cranking might kill the battery before it starts, I would definitely buy one for every vehicle.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a gold plated bolt on the negative and a bolt extender on the positive. I was planning on the other way around but I ended up needing the extra bolt length for the two ring terminals I need on positive. Not sure if it's part of the difference made but I'm sure it has to help a little.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to use those terminals. The numbers I found based off current flow compared to material thickness, I didn't want to use any terminals that were going to be under rated..

You can get these in aluminum (ILL CUSTOMZ) and for about half the price of the copper version. These are about $25.

s-l1600.jpg

I wanted to be able to use Lugs, and I first went with these next ones. Copper is a little better and tried these (SKY HIGH CAR AUDIO) These are about $50-$60

-Car-Audio-4-Lug-Flat-SAE-Copper-Battery-Terminals.jpg

The problem with these on our vehicle is the side mounted posts. I had a pretty new battery, so I wanted to use it. These terminals are kind of heavy. They were quickly loosening up the battery posts.

Then I found these. $60

upload_2019-3-11_13-19-31.png

https://squareup.com/store/boat-steering-solutions-llc/

They have the post hole centered so the weight is distributed evenly. These have been working great for me.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I didn't want to use those terminals. The numbers I found based off current flow compared to material thickness, I didn't want to use any terminals that were going to be under rated..

You can get these in aluminum (ILL CUSTOMZ) and for about half the price of the copper version. These are about $25.

s-l1600.jpg

I wanted to be able to use Lugs, and I first went with these next ones. Copper is a little better and tried these (SKY HIGH CAR AUDIO) These are about $50-$60

-Car-Audio-4-Lug-Flat-SAE-Copper-Battery-Terminals.jpg

The problem with these on our vehicle is the side mounted posts. I had a pretty new battery, so I wanted to use it. These terminals are kind of heavy. They were quickly loosening up the battery posts.

Then I found these. $60

View attachment 218435

https://squareup.com/store/boat-steering-solutions-llc/

They have the post hole centered so the weight is distributed evenly. These have been working great for me.

Where are the gold ones you talked about?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
On the off chance I'm wrong about the external regulator, just so were clear, I know its that way on the pickups. I was only assuming its the same on the SUVs. I think it is, but if someone knows better that for some reason its different, I'm all ears.

The e-fans use about 25-30 amps on the 2005-2007 classic fans. The NNBS fans use a little more. That was a big jump, so yeah, that could be why they went to the external regulator.

Something I never see mentioned with the big 3 is the negative battery terminal. I added one of the gold plated terminals for few bucks (because of the stereo), and my vehicle NOTICEABLY starts much quicker. It went from a 1 1/2 - 2 second cranking to about 1/4-1/2 second. It may not matter at all in the long run, but I figure I'm putting less wear on the battery, starter, and engine.
If I was in a cold weather climate where cranking might kill the battery before it starts, I would definitely buy one for every vehicle.

06 z71 Confirmed.

15523381373842696512746057934929.jpg

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you mean just the gold plated battery posts? Auto parts stores will usually carry them. Amazon or ebay, about $5 for each side. You can look for some copper posts that are even better. Probably about $15 each. (to me its one of those reusable parts).

51AwjkslSUL.jpg

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the system together last light and I’ve ran into a few problems. My voltage is still fluctuating. I’m not sure if it’s my alternator or my battery but my money is on the alternator. I’m considering just getting a mechman 240 for it. I’ll get a battery soon after as well. Does anyone have experience with mechman alts or any company that makes alternators (besides eBay h/o alts)?