Best option for my transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also wanted to add nick;

My transmission has been shifting great lately. So wondering now why the issues seem to come and go. And worsen with cold weather. I’m leaning towards some sort of TSB vs a real critical issue.
Do you know what a TSB is and it's purpose?

ETA: When was the last time you gave that thing a service (fluid, filter)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what a TSB is and it's purpose?

ETA: When was the last time you gave that thing a service (fluid, filter)?
A technical service bulletin, in short (to me) is a known issue that usually has a solution or fix. Examples: fluid leaking through the connector on the transmission harness, a loose transmission wire harness or something like that. Like a defect from the factory.

What if I have one of the transmission TSBs?

And yes: fluid I know for sure was changed. Can’t comment on the filter. But I am guessing it was changed if the dealership changed the fluid.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A technical service bulletin, in short (to me) is a known issue that usually has a solution or fix. Examples: fluid leaking through the connector on the transmission harness, a loose transmission wire harness or something like that. Like a defect from the factory.

What if I have one of the transmission TSBs?

And yes: fluid I know for sure was changed. Can’t comment on the filter. But I am guessing it was changed if the dealership changed the fluid.

A TSB is a technical service bulletin that is published by the manufacturer for consumption by the general public and service techs to advise of a design flaw or oprational defect of a system, subsystem or component that is common to a large product segment or sub-segment of vehicles in a given prod date range that may result in adverse drivability experiences stemming from associated mechanical issues/failures for operators of impacted vehicles.

The consequences for vehicle operators will depend on the severity of the issue.

Example 6L80 TSB: 3-5-R drum leaks due to insufficient/inadequate welds at the base. Burns up 3-5R clutch pack. Results in loss of Reverse, third and fifth gear.

This is a (very well) known issue, to use your verbiage, that requires removal and disassembly of the transmission to fix!

If you think TSBs only apply to "minor" issues that require little expense/LOE to remediate, you're sadly mistaken. Though in your case, none of your issues should be considered minor at this point since you dont actually work on your Tahoe (yet). So far, you have just started threads to "talk" about things as you notice them - some are more concerning than others, if looking at it from your point of view.
Problems dont fix themselves, they just get worse the more time passes.

To answer your question, "what if I have one of those TSBs?"

Response: It depends what it is. Hopefully your transmission issues don't worsen. I was thinking your filter was partially clogged (and it could still be) but not nearly as likely as it was changed recently. Otherwise it amost sounds like you have a converter drain back problem, which is not common to these transmissions. Lastly, TEHCM (intermittent pressure switch failure in either TFP 3 or 4) which requires you to replace the TEHCM. Can also be either your 2-6 regulator valve and/or 1-2-3-4 regulator valve sticking when cold. Possibly the compensator feed reg valve as well...Whichever the case may be, you will need to overhaul or replace the valve body to fix.

Have you bought the manual yet?

Also, let us know what's up with your flexplate. I sincerely hope for your sake that it's not cracked. If it is, that transmission must come out IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner, or you risk catastrophic engine and transmission damage. Not only that, its completely unsafe to drive it cracked as is. If it breaks completely while you're driving, it may stall out the vehicle, which means total loss of power and potentially control (think major accident).

Telling you this now so that, in the event you realize it's cracked, you dont assume its fine to keep driving which up to this point has been your default response to issues as they arise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why shift flares happen? I was going through my old threads and it seems most of the issues have subsided for now with the transmission. I still get a shift flare in 2-3 gear sometimes if I really put down the pedal (like when I need to get on the free way, or turn into traffic)

And sometimes it will rev a little past 2k sometimes if it’s under 90°F it seems like

@NickTransmissions

Can’t complain I guess. It’s lasted me so far

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why shift flares happen? I was going through my old threads and it seems most of the issues have subsided for now with the transmission. I still get a shift flare in 2-3 gear sometimes if I really put down the pedal (like when I need to get on the free way, or turn into traffic)

And sometimes it will rev a little past 2k sometimes if it’s under 90°F it seems like

@NickTransmissions

3-5-R clutch pack wear caused by leaking welds at the base of the 3-5-R drum is what's causing your 2-3 flare. A flare shift is by definition, a temporary/fleeting neutral condition that happens becuase one applied element is coming off before the next applied element in the shift sequence is able to fully apply. In this case, your 2-6 clutch is releasing and your 3-5-R clutch is taking too long to fully come on, generating the flare. The excessive shift time is due to the loss of friction material, creating additional clearance in that pack that shouldn't be there.

It will get progressively worse over time until one day you will begin to slip in 3rd (followed by slippage in 5th and reverse). Sucks but there's no way to fix or stop it short of rebuilding the unit and reinforcing the base welds on the drum.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3-5-R clutch pack wear caused by leaking welds at the base of the 3-5-R drum is what's causing your 2-3 flare. A flare shift is by definition, a temporary/fleeting neutral condition that happens becuase one applied element is coming off before the next applied element in the shift sequence is able to fully apply. In this case, your 2-6 clutch is releasing and your 3-5-R clutch is taking too long to fully come on, generating the flare. The excessive shift time is due to the loss of friction material, creating additional clearance in that pack that shouldn't be there.

It will get progressively worse over time until one day you will begin to slip in 3rd (followed by slippage in 5th and reverse). Sucks but there's no way to fix or stop it short of rebuilding the unit and reinforcing the base welds on the drum.

Yea it seems to shift, but rev a hair higher, after it’s shifted. It’s strange. in 2-3, and only when I floor it appears.

I’m at 170k, for it lasting this long and still kicking I’d say that’s pretty good for a Chevy transmission. I’m gonna run y till it’s not driveable. I got a really good, and new job so I’ll have money put aside for a potential rebuild or a new unit.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea it seems to shift, but rev a hair higher, after it’s shifted. It’s strange. in 2-3, and only when I floor it appears.

I’m at 170k, for it lasting this long and still kicking I’d say that’s pretty good for a Chevy transmission. I’m gonna run y till it’s not driveable. I got a really good, and new job so I’ll have money put aside for a potential rebuild or a new unit.
Not strange at all-simply the beginning of the end of that unit's life...Have it rebuilt locally by someone who knows those transmissions when the time
comes. Most remans leave alot to be desired.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

@NickTransmissions

our 6L80 has had the 2-3 flare above 3k rpm when cold since we bought it 5 yrs and 60 k miles ago. So I lift off the gas pedal during the 2-3 shift a little under that condition. I do used atf analysis and change the Dexron6 each 25k miles and filter each 50k miles.
It is driven conservatively and mostly hwy, no towing.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
our 6L80 has had the 2-3 flare above 3k rpm when cold since we bought it 5 yrs and 60 k miles ago. So I lift off the gas pedal a little under that condition. I do used atf analysis and change the Dexron6 each 25k miles and filter each 50k miles.
It is driven conservatively and mostly hwy, no towing.
My '07 does it sometimes too, and my '12 will do it under full throttle when towing only, but also not all the time. Full throttle launches when towing are rare but sometimes necessary like when I realize at the last minute that I need to get over a lane coming out of a light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10