Best octane fuel for fuel eceonomy? (5.3L only)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those were low rpm torque motors, the cams were dead by 4400 rpms, raced them for years. Must've been fun to drive, any pics?
No pics unfortunately - it was fun to drive but had a crazy stiff clutch - I honestly cant remember if it was a 3 speed or 4. It definitely ran out of breath early in the rpm band - but could pull like a tug boat!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No pics unfortunately - it was fun to drive but had a crazy stiff clutch - I honestly cant remember if it was a 3 speed or 4. It definitely ran out of breath early in the rpm band - but could pull like a tug boat!

They came with both, most of them 3-speeds, gone by 1981 if memory serves. Fun stuff!

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is responsible for better fuel mileage at the same * light throttle opening during cruise* ??........TIMING
The more timing without knock/detonation the more torque the better the mileage.
What allows more timing without KR? (Knock retard)
Cooler intake air.... IAT , allows more timing.....look at a tune map timing vs IAT
Higher octane fuel....allows more timing to be utilized
Lower engine temp ECT ....less prone to knock/det

Your highest amount of timing will be at the lightest load/throttle like cruising at 40 mph.

OEM tuning is for the minimum fuel octane available everywhere, or for performance vehicles they stipulate in the manual the minimum requirement.
Aftermarket tuning can give you more timing if you are dedicated to using high octane fuel, add a real cold air intake and its even better.

PS, you cant really do MPG comparison with gas vs E85 as it has ~27% less energy than gas....the only good thing is the higher octane rating. You would have to do a price comparison with total miles driven.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now here's a wrinkle for ya, I now mix fuels for even better fuel economy, about 6-8 gallons of E85 mixed with E15 or 93 and the truck gets even better gas mileage than if she was burning straight 93. The motor (computer system) loves ethanol and if mixing with E15, costs less than a tank of 87.
2+ yrs later:

I am again occasionally mixing in about 5 gals of e85 when filling up w/e10 93 octane.

Cost is $2.60/gal for e85 and $3.65/gal for 93.

I can't notice a mpg hit to my local driving, so its a win.

But the station is 20 miles away so I don't get the chance to do this very often.

And everyone here shoukd know by now "I take it easy on the ole beast".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork