best hp upgrades for the money

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe03mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some extra power out of my 03 hoe 5.3flex
I'm looking at superchargers, but is there better bang for the buck?
I have a magnaflow catback, and an airraid intake currently. Other then that it's pretty stock.

advice please :)

BBK Headers pn-40050 99-04 Exhaust Headers - 4.8L & 5.3L (Polished Ceramic) $429.99 ?
Magnaflow 2003 V8 5.3L GAS 2.5 in. Tubing ; 2 Single Catalytic Converter; Off Road Use 15477 $707.99 worth it?

Last edited:

Donkey Punch

Panantukan
Reaction score
sounds like you are on the right track with headers... I went with LPP long tubes and also got a tune by Blackbear who is a vendor on this site if you haven't noticed yet. With the LPP headers I was able to get the headers and ORY (deleted cats) for 500.. great deal! quality is alright... Do you have emissions testing in Yelm? A few people here and on other GM forums have liked the fit and finish of the LPP's but do what works with your budget. After a tune its really about all you can do until you start going with a different cam etc.. then it gets more and more expensive.

OP
OP
Tahoe03mm

Tahoe03mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
emissions isn't required in this county. It runs pretty clean anyways, so i doubt it really needs the cats but you know how some states can be on emissions and shops don't want to touch it. I'm sure I can do most of the work myself, being a mechanic's son helps a bit. I just wish I'd get him to help me with the bigger projects. He owns a European repair shop so he doesn't want to touch my american made vehicle lol

GM Truck long tube Headers and Y is about $450 from LPP... it's 321 stainless so I imagine it's decent quality

Last edited:

hyde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitrous and tune....Let it be....Be done for way under a grand and it should run 13's all day long!

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
or, gears....not really a HP gain, but quicker acceleration, if you have oversized rims/tires.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
if you have supercharger money, then you are about to get the best bang for the buck. You will get a 50% gain from the supercharger.

However you are looking at thousands for the SC and then most likely going to have to buy a new tranny because you will burn that ****** up. I am not trying to talk you out of it, but my recommendation if you are serious about forced induction is to spend more and build the tranny, get an exhaust, tune, injectors, and so on

however, bang for your buck, add an intake and free flowing exhaust and tune and you will see 30 or 40 HP (estimate) you can get all that done for under $1000, way under if you shop hard and dont buy name brand, thats what i did and i gained a lot of power without spending a ton of money

OP
OP
Tahoe03mm

Tahoe03mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have cat-back and intake.. I'm thinking headers next and ORY, get rid of them cats. Looking like we're getting closer to get people together for a BBP tune here in the WA/OR area, which would be sweet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaymerkz