Battery issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AGMAMA06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Yukon. I hit a deer (front impact) a year ago. The body shop had my vehicle for a few months. When I got it back, I had to replace the battery. The new battery will only hold a charge for a couple of days as long as the vehicle is cranked every other day. If not, it's completely dead. The battery is good. Alternator checks out. Posts/contacts are clean. No apparent drains on the battery. Any ideas what may be going on? I didn't have this problem before I hit the deer. Thanks in advance.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parasitic battery drain. Watch a YT video on how to test. Do you have a digital voltmeter? If not, please purchase one.

The general idea is to try to replicate what the truck does after you shut off the vehicle while checking the various fuses voltage drop to determine amp draw OR measure amp draw directly in-line on the battery cable and start pulling fuses until the amperage lowers.

50-75 mA or less is usually what you want to see for a system that's normal.

My 04 project suburban has/had a parasitic battery drain issue, and I think I found out it was that center console button module thing. I've been checking lately and it appears the problem went away. Some clusters solder I've read may also be the problem.

Edit: whether this was caused by you hitting the deer is impossible to tell, in my opinion. Maybe it was just coincidence. Especially because those 2 possible causes I mentioned are known to issues.

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing is to hook a small 12v light bulb up between the battery + and the cable. I'd guess the lamp will light up and stay lit. Then start pulling fuses and see which one is drawing current. Trace it from there.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't use the "pull the fuses" method, since it can wake up modules during the test; there's an easier way. There are lots of good YouTube videos on diagnosing parasitic draw. Here's one:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts