Bad noise. A/C compressor or Tensioner Pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DenverDadofTwins

DenverDadofTwins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s not too bad of a job, costs about $200 for the kit without a condenser, $240 with it. It’s recommended to change the condenser as it traps metal particals from the compressor failure. Change the orifice, accumulator, and flush out all lines to remove contaminated. Takes about 2 hours to do so not too bad and will save you a ton of money. Only thing is you need a vacuum pump to remove moisture from the system before recharging. I just did mine a few weeks ago.
Yeah it’s only like six bolts once you get everything out of the way. Had a shop suck all the Freon our earlier. Slapping it in there ASAP. Got the new condenser and orifice tube as well

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That absolutely sounds like a bearing noise to me, most likely the tensioner pulley. I would not be inclined to replace the compressor at this stage, I'd be replacing the tensioner and belt. while at it, I'd replace the tensioner and idler pulley on the serpentine belt also.

03greenZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good job on the install, saved a lot of money. my compressor sounded like a bearing scraping inside also when it failed. The sure tell sign it’s a bad compressor is if the belt flutters, comes off and shreds. Even if you can baby it and keep it working for awhile it’s on it’s way out.

BCull68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is your compressor. Common with GM. You think it’s the tensioner but the compressor is worn inside causing it to not spin correctly and causes the compressor to start “bucking” which makes the belt flutter and eventually get bad enough to jump off and shred. There was a tab from gm on this.

Bad grinding noise only when the A/C is on and the engine revs.

No noise when the A/C is off or it’s just idling with the A/C on.

What do you think? Is it just the tensioner pulley or could it be the A/C compressor going bad? Air blows cold
Definitely tensioner noise..same issue here, I just replaces belt and tensioner tonight, but alas...noise still there when AC on and you snap throttle... if I drive smooth I dont hear it but this is a common compressor problem...even the instructions from Gates mentions catastrophic Compressor issues (called slugging) For $35 it was worth the try.,.

BCull68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is your compressor. Common with GM. You think it’s the tensioner but the compressor is worn inside causing it to not spin correctly and causes the compressor to start “bucking” which makes the belt flutter and eventually get bad enough to jump off and shred. There was a tab from gm on this.
Explained to perfection......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts