Auxilary Monitor to factory DVD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a monitor to the cubby, it had 2 inputs so I figured why not hook it up to the factory DVD player also.
Problem is, the front monitor cuts in/out basically clips. Nothing especially makes it happen more or less. I added a video amp directly to the output on the DVD player to see if that solved the cutting out problem but it didn't. The rear monitor is hooked into the video amp too and it doesnt cut out.
This is the only video source that does this in this monitor so I dont think it is the monitor. The rear camera is just fine and I even ran a home DVD player into the monitor and it was fine too. Then ran my same video wire to another monitor and it didn't clip.
Its just like the factory DVD and the monitor aren't compatable.

Is the DVD a different format? I am realy at a loss here. I spent several hours trouble shooting it then took it to a friend that runs a stereo shop and he spent several hours also.

Here is the monitor I bought.
Fits perfect BTW.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9B3zBhM%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

43monitor.jpg

OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one out there has ever tried installing headrests or another monitor with the factory overhead? Someone has to have tried this before.

OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the pic of the monitor. The cubby monitor plays the back up camera when the vehicle is put into reverse, otherwise it will play whatever movie is playing. I still cant get it to work right, it is driving me nuts.

I was really hoping that someone on here would have a fix for this.

backupmonitor.jpg

closeupmonitor.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's messing up while playing a movie as well then you know it's not the camera! Try separating the signal from the DVD and the camera and just run a wire from each separately and see if the problems still happen with either one! Might be wiring, the monitor, or whatever you are splitting the signal from!

By the way, very nice install!

Last edited:

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try hooking up the dvd output to a different monitor, just to check signal feed. how did you connect it to the cubby monitor? is it just with a video out cable or did you solder the wires?

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
**** yea! here is the post I was looking for... (BTW, you got a write up on that 400w inverter???)

towerdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was looking to add a backup camera to my Yukon and didn't have a place for the monitor. Now I do! Can you tell me exactly how you did it and what modifications you did to mount it. Any help or instructions are appreciated. Also how good is that monitor you bought on ebay?

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an aux monitor hooked up to my factory overhead panasonic dvd player and I had no problems at all, I used a standard yellow rca cable and cut the end off of it and soldiered the ends to the board inside the panasonic

OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an aux monitor hooked up to my factory overhead panasonic dvd player and I had no problems at all, I used a standard yellow rca cable and cut the end off of it and soldiered the ends to the board inside the panasonic

Thats exactly what I have done too, its driving me nuts why it doesn't work right.

I was looking to add a backup camera to my Yukon and didn't have a place for the monitor. Now I do! Can you tell me exactly how you did it and what modifications you did to mount it. Any help or instructions are appreciated. Also how good is that monitor you bought on ebay?

I am going to post a few of the pics in my album of the back of the monitor and what I had to grind away on the back side to make it fit. Nothing major and pretty easy to do. The monitor decent and the only one I could find with the dimensions that would fit in this spot and not be too deep or have a plastic rng around it to keep it from sitting flush.

**** yea! here is the post I was looking for... (BTW, you got a write up on that 400w inverter???)

The inverter was just a standard one I bought at Harbor Freight, nothing special. I opened it up extended the wires for the plugs and use the end they were in as a template to cut the holes in the back of the console. Soldered everything back together and stuffed it sideways into the console behind the plastic. I ran a 8 gauge power source into the center console then put 2 fuse distribution blocks, 1 is constant and the other is switched with the ignition. I also put a switch to the inverter that is mounted on the top side of the top cubby in the center console so it doesnt run all the time but will only turn on when the engine is running. Since how ofter do you really need to plug something in. I added some pics in my album of the fuse blocks and the plugs with the LED's on so you can see it all in the dark.

If it's messing up while playing a movie as well then you know it's not the camera! Try separating the signal from the DVD and the camera and just run a wire from each separately and see if the problems still happen with either one! Might be wiring, the monitor, or whatever you are splitting the signal from!

By the way, very nice install!

I tried everything, so I think..... The monitor has 2 seperate inputs, there is video 1 that is constant and video 2 that overrides video 1 when it receives signal. I swapped these 2 and the DVD source still cut out where as the back up camera never cut out regardless of what its plugged into. I even ran the video cable that runs from the DVD player directly to a seperate TV and it was fine. Then ran a home DVD player into my monitor in the car monitor and the same input and it did fine. My guess is there is some sort of format error, although I just dont see why.

try hooking up the dvd output to a different monitor, just to check signal feed. how did you connect it to the cubby monitor? is it just with a video out cable or did you solder the wires?

Initially I soldered everything together so both monitors worked. That didnt work so then after swapping cables, doing all the things I said earlier I finaly figured it was weak video signal so I added a small video amp right out the back of the DVD player. That didn't work either. At least now, I have 2 more video outputs if I ever decide to add more monitors or a couple of headrest monitors. Flip down monitor never cuts out. None of it makes sense.

This weekend I will take another stab at it all and if that doesnt work, I am going to order another monitor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10