Automatic liftgate open/close not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If the latch is working for manual operation, I don’t think that is the issue, as it needs to release either way. I’m assuming the liftgate stays up when you open it manually, so the gas struts are probably fine. With the lift gate open, can you confirm that the lifting bar is still attached to the liftgate motor? You should be able to open the rubber seal in the driver side and look down where it attaches. If it is attached, you might have an issue with very thick/cold grease in the gear box casing issues.
I would like to hope that is the case but so far I have been reading that guys have been had the latch act up and while it will unlatch with the grab handle it wont let the motor run. It doesn’t even try. I used to hear a different sound when it unlatched in power open mode and it would make more noises when it closed and latched.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If the latch is working for manual operation, I don’t think that is the issue, as it needs to release either way. I’m assuming the liftgate stays up when you open it manually, so the gas struts are probably fine. With the lift gate open, can you confirm that the lifting bar is still attached to the liftgate motor? You should be able to open the rubber seal in the driver side and look down where it attaches. If it is attached, you might have an issue with very thick/cold grease in the gear box casing issues.
I will check the rod connection tomorrow. It sounds like that latch has several “latched” positions it should go to and it requires them to be a certain way. Glad I have a tech2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700