Audio help for 2004 Tahoe LT needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead3085

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe LT with several options and a few issues. I am needing some help adding, fixing and replacing some parts on the audio system.
My options that are on the truck are:
  • Onstar (factory)
  • XM (in radio/factory)
  • 6cd (in radio/factory)
  • am/fm (inradio/factory)
  • steering wheel controls (factory)
  • rear audio (also has auto heat/air but no dvd)(factory)
  • dual heat/air (factory)
  • auto-tint, power adjust, power fold mirrors (all 3, factory)
  • multi adjust power seats (leather, heated, both sides, factory)
My issues are that I need to add an aux input (have the aux button) without messing with the xm if possible. I also need a new cd changer module (inside the radio) because the previous owners of the truck cut the top out of it and messed it up so it no longer works. I am trying to keep everything as close to factory as possible. I will be adding a backup camera to the truck later on and possibly a dvd system as well. I am also looking at possibly having a navigation and bluetooth (android not ipod) added sooner than the backup camera or dvd.

My biggest concern is that I use the xm radio (and still will) but that I also need the other stuff for both work and my kids/grandkids. I already know where I can get headrest style dvd players and stuff like that but I am more concerned with the dash mounted radio at the moment. I f anyone can help me out with links to the parts, instructions, wire diagrams, videos, etc (or are near my area) please let me know.

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't add navigation to your factory radio because it doesn't have a screen and wasn't ever designed to have one.

All the things you want to add (navigation, Bluetooth, aux input, backup camera, etc.) can be had by purchasing an aftermarket double din radio with those capabilities. It will look pretty close to factory and work MUCH better than trying to add all the things you mentioned separately. You can also keep your OnStar, XM, and steering wheel controls with most aftermarket radios.

The only thing you will lose is the CD changer, and if it's very important you have one, you can probably add an aftermarket one. I'm unsure about the rear audio, but I'm sure there is plenty of information on this forum about that. Your climate control, power folding mirrors, and power seats will be completely unaffected by any changes to the radio/stereo system.

As far as wiring diagrams, it will make your life much easier to purchase adapter harnesses that are plentiful for these vehicles instead of trying to hack up the factory harness. If you buy the adapters, it's simply matching the colors of the wires and plugging it in. It will also allow you to put the stock stuff back in when it comes time to sell/trade in.

Here's just an example of an aftermarket double din radio, just so you have an idea how close to factory it will look:

IMG_4529-1.jpg

If you are dead set on keeping your factory radio, you can add most of the things you mentioned. However, it will cost more, be significantly harder to install, will probably look less factory, and will not function as well as just replacing the radio.

OP
OP
J

Jarhead3085

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You miss understood my comment.

I meant that if I had to swap radios then I was going to get one with a screen. (not try to add it to a non-nav radio)

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You miss understood my comment.

I meant that if I had to swap radios then I was going to get one with a screen. (not try to add it to a non-nav radio)
Ah, well my comment remains unchanged either way. All the things you want to add can be done by adding an aftermarket double din radio and the easiest way to install it is to use an adapter harness. Using the proper adapters, you won't need a wiring diagram and all instructions are included.

I would suggest going to www.crutchfield.com and clicking on the "Find what fits my vehicle" link. Input your vehicle info with the correct options (whether it has Bose and OnStar are all it asks for) and then click on the "Parts and accessories" dropdown menu. That will show you all the harnesses you need and the proper dash install kit.

From that point, just choose a radio that fits your needs and budget. Crutchfield is also a good place to do this. It's worth noting that you can buy all the same things from Amazon and other websites for MUCH cheaper than Crutchfield, however, if you want a helpful customer service department, you won't find a better place than Crutchfield.

So, in a nutshell, use Crutchfield to explore products, find out what you like, and what you'll need to install. If you're the type of person who gets stuck on the install and wants to call customer service for personalized, step-by-step instructions, buy from Crutchfield. If you'd rather save some money and search forums for answers when you get stuck, search Amazon and other online retailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA