At what mileage should I considering trading in my Tahoe??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe, that has 223K miles, and has been taken care of pretty well. It has no mechanical issues now however, I travel often long distances View attachment 273601 for business using my Tahoe , and I’d like to stay ahead of any brake-downs or huge repairs.

Anyone have any recommendations on when I should consider upgrading??
i would get the AFM disabler

Gregory M Bone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your '07 Tahoe does not have the oil consumption issue, count your blessings.

Mine has 140k and has been using oil since 100k.

I hate the tire pressure monitor system, the lights come on very regularly, and have to replace sensors much too regularly.

I also own a '00 Silverado 1500 that has 250k, and uses a little oil between changes.

At 220k transmission went out, but to be expected.

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A relatives 2007 Tahoe LS 4x4 with 159K miles

(Well taken care of, upgraded with leather seats, DVD + backup camera, rebuilt transmission, rebuilt rear diff, transfer case repair kit, all fluids done w quality Synthetic, lift kit, + lots of other maintenance, etc)

was offered $4.5k trade in on a 2017 Tahoe, , But we sold it on craigslist for $8.5K

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are finally at places in our careers where we make good money, but we want to retire when we're 60. That means no brand new cars or trucks, and keeping the ones we have tip top. If you can do the work yourself, buy second hand trucks and keep them reliable, you'll save literally hundreds of thousands of dollars over your lifetime.

I seem to be living that way of life now. We've had more than our share of new vehicles but have gotten to the point that it just doesn't matter to us anymore. And if I wasn't out changing brakes on the 13 year old Tahoe, what would I have to do?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Don’t trade in, trade up. Our 08 Denali XL AWD purch’d in 14 for $19.5 @ 96K mi was training wheels and proof of how reliable the NNBS is.

Last year I was asking myself the same question. I wanted a/c seats and an 09 for flex fuel with no AFM. I also wanted to avoid repainting the entire truck and replacing the cracked dash. A little research and a nationwide search shows a $96K (new) 09 Escalade Platinum ESV @ 120K mi goes for $14k in TX. Flex fuel, Leather dash & tricoat pearl white paint means immune from dash cracks and a repaint. So I hire a independent inspector to verify it’s a legit deal.

2.5 Days later it’s purchased in TX and driven back to CA. Went balls out and paid $750 to have a pro do a professional Resto on the Denali so it looks like no other vehicle in the US. It sells on TRED online site in 65 days to someone out of state for $12.5k @ 140k miles on the clock after 1 test drive. TRED did all the DMV Ppwk and direct deposit the funds to my checking acct.

Fast forward one year. e85 flex fuel is $2.29 gal. Fill ups are now $75 vs $116 for 91 prem. Almost every service item on the Caddy is the same as the Denali except I no longer have to do a repaint, repair the dash, everything is covered in Tehama leather, A/C seats, blind zone sensors in mirrors and ... it’s a Caddy that has the same Ins & Reg fees as the Denali for $2.5k more plus the e85 makes the it run like a bat out of hell.

Spend 5-$7h on a Resto, sell it private party and Trade up. Make it a mini vaca picking up an 09 Esky Plat that will run as long as your Tahoe [emoji3]

Update...

https://www.autolist.com/gmc-yukon+xl#vin=1GKUKKE24AR113372

Yes, in CA resale on the NNBS are going for record pricing. Advertise on a 48 State website to sell private party ...

fe2449e569d22f196c597b3ddb544399.jpg87535c9cb608ccf1ce094ba67df66dc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Daddio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If travel to clients is essential to your business, the price of a new vehicle should be tax deductible, isn't it?
Maybe even, lease a new Yukon every couple years or until you reach their mileage limit and avoid many maintenance issues.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
NNBS w/o AFM and most of the AFM trucks have practically reached legend status for service, reliability and parts availability.

Driving from TX to CA there’s nothing else I’d rather be in because of its mass, comfort, crash rating, power and parts plethora, whether it’s nos, oem, aftermarket or recycled. It’s the Kalashnikov of cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remove the DOD/AFM the engine will probably run until 300K if not 400K It really depends on how hard you drive, if you drive like grandpa, never in a hurry, it will last a long long time. If you are like me and like to get pushed back into the seat and hear the growl of the engine then it will not last as long.
The engine (With DOD removed) will outlive the transmission at this point. As long as it shifts good, you should be fine.
My 2007 has 220,000 on it as well, and I would not think twice about driving from Michigan to California and back right now. EVERYTHING works except for the Passenger seat lumbar does not adjust up and down, it goes in and out only. But beyond that, been a great vehicle.
2015+ I am not sure if they are as reliable or not. I would not bank on it as I know there were issues early on with them.

A repair to the engine, or transmission is way less expensive than a new car payment.

J

Denali_XL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At 223k miles your odds of a rebuilt transmission in the very near future are pretty high. Has the suspension ever been replaced? If it's Autoride, you'd be looking at about $7-$8k just for those 2 repairs.

Still cheaper than a brand new Tahoe + the yearly hit in depreciation.