Are HVAC control modules interchangeable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This question is more out of idle curiosity than anything else but does anyone know if the HVAC control modules are interchangeable? For example, mine has the automatic dual zone, all-electronic control but I was just thinking, if it crapped out, could I swap in the simpler one with the manual sliding controls?

Again, not an actual issue since it is working fine (knock wood!) but I was wondering as it might be a lower cost option. And to be honest the "automatic" climate controls don't work too well IMO. I'm constantly fiddling with mine because it's too hot, too cold or the fan is blowing too hard or not enough. In a lot of ways I prefer the older style that just has one dial for temperature, one for the blend doors, and one for the fan speed with a push button for AC on or off.

subieworx

Reaction score
And there is no need to. I replaced the auto controls a few months ago as my knobs were wearing out and bought a brand new set unit $100.

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And there is no need to. I replaced the auto controls a few months ago as my knobs were wearing out and bought a brand new set unit $100.

Good to know. I've been in the Toyota world for the past 7 years or so. Want to guess what the HVAC control module for a 4th gen (2003 - 2009) 4runner goes for when they go out and need to be replaced (and it does happen?) $700+ if you can find one. Dealer would want nearly a grand.

LRod

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to replace my manual climate control with the automated climate control?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to replace my manual climate control with the automated climate control?

You can't... I mean you can, with a whole new wiring harness, bcm, controls, temp sensor, etc. cheaper to sell yours and get the vehicle you want

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts