Are Backup Camera Wires already in Harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scronch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I have a new-to-me 2013 Suburban 1500 LT. It does not have a backup camera and does not have a dash screen, but that was an option for this truck. Are the power & video wires already present in a harness running to the tailgate? If not, are there any unused wires running from the dash to the tailgate? If so, I will go hardwired. If not, I'll go wifi. Thank you in advance.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I have a new-to-me 2013 Suburban 1500 LT. It does not have a backup camera and does not have a dash screen, but that was an option for this truck. Are the power & video wires already present in a harness running to the tailgate? If not, are there any unused wires running from the dash to the tailgate? If so, I will go hardwired. If not, I'll go wifi. Thank you in advance.
If its an lt i’d say yes. My 13 lt hoe has it in the mirror (instead of dash screen) are you sure there is no camera there and its just not working?
To verify wires pull the front upper consoe on roof and rear hatch plastic.

OP
OP
S

scronch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sure it does not have a camera. It wasn't on the original options list and I looked at the tailgate between the two license plate bulb covers--the plastic knockout is still in place. I am aware of the rearview mirror backup displays and the dash displays. This truck has neither.

It's 0 degrees here and I'm avoiding pulling any cold plastic. I'd like to get my parts ordered so I was hoping someone might know if all these came with the backup camera wires already in a harness. I haven't been able to find complete wiring diagrams.

Kreid84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sure it does not have a camera. It wasn't on the original options list and I looked at the tailgate between the two license plate bulb covers--the plastic knockout is still in place. I am aware of the rearview mirror backup displays and the dash displays. This truck has neither.

It's 0 degrees here and I'm avoiding pulling any cold plastic. I'd like to get my parts ordered so I was hoping someone might know if all these came with the backup camera wires already in a harness. I haven't been able to find complete wiring diagrams.
Did you ever resolve this? I am looking at same thing on a 2012 suburban LT

me88

Reaction score
There are two different tailgate harnesses according to the parts catalog, one with the camera plug and one without. My LTZ (no nav or camera from factory) did not have any camera wiring or plugs in the tailgate, had to install new wires for that. I verified the wiring using the wiring diagram, yup - everything there except that.

It's not too difficult, except for getting that RCA plug through the grommet between the body and the tailgate. Without silicone spray or something else that's slippery (and does not degrade rubber) it is absolutely impossible to get a cable like that through.

EDIT:
When you remove the inside panel of the tailgate, look for a connector that looks like this:
(picture from someone else, found it on Google)
It should have six wires: white, grey, dark blue, light blue, black, pink.

If you have this plug, then you have the wiring for rearview camera.

Last edited:

senkowtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are two different tailgate harnesses according to the parts catalog, one with the camera plug and one without. My LTZ (no nav or camera from factory) did not have any camera wiring or plugs in the tailgate, had to install new wires for that. I verified the wiring using the wiring diagram, yup - everything there except that.

It's not too difficult, except for getting that RCA plug through the grommet between the body and the tailgate. Without silicone spray or something else that's slippery (and does not degrade rubber) it is absolutely impossible to get a cable like that through.

EDIT:
When you remove the inside panel of the tailgate, look for a connector that looks like this:
(picture from someone else, found it on Google)
It should have six wires: white, grey, dark blue, light blue, black, pink.

If you have this plug, then you have the wiring for rearview camera.
Is that plug up in the headliner taped up or is it in the lift gate taped up.
I took the rear panel off the liftgate I can't find that plug

me88

Reaction score
It is in the rear tailgate. If you can't find it then yours has the tailgate harness without video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DGeneration420