Anyone's paint chipping off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom quarter panels of my Denali look like they have been hit with a sandblaster.
I can understand if I had driven it for 75k highway miles.
However I only have 33k miles and this began almost months after owning it.

What is the paint warranty on these trucks and is there any point to even take it to the dealership to file a claim?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom quarter panels of my Denali look like they have been hit with a sandblaster.
I can understand if I had driven it for 75k highway miles.
However I only have 33k miles and this began almost months after owning it.

What is the paint warranty on these trucks and is there any point to even take it to the dealership to file a claim?

First off, its GMC paint. Gotta set proper expectations.

I had my lower panels, hood and rear gate all wrapped with Xpel ultimate. Best decision ever. Not a single chip on my hood after almost 30K miles. I actually waiting about 5K miles until I decided to do lower panels. I saw they were getting hammered so I had them wrapped too.

I suggest getting a good detailing done then getting, at least, those lower panels wrapped and get some decent mud flaps. I think the retractable steps make them more susceptible too. They take an insane beating.

33K milles is more than most leases go for so I doubt anyone at GM is going to consider your truck anywhere near new. IE: No recourse IMO

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be 100% correct about the retractable steps. I have mud flaps on, but to little avail.
I have thought about trying one of those infomercial waxes were it shows scratches 'disappearing'.

I'm past my lease miles already= 30k. Which is no big deal because I decided last year I am going to end up paying off the residual.
It's not the way I would have handled this purchase from the start. But there is really nothing else out there right now I want except for the new Navigator Black Label L. But that is just stupid money for the way we use our SUV.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be 100% correct about the retractable steps. I have mud flaps on, but to little avail.
I have thought about trying one of those infomercial waxes were it shows scratches 'disappearing'.

I'm past my lease miles already= 30k. Which is no big deal because I decided last year I am going to end up paying off the residual.
It's not the way I would have handled this purchase from the start. But there is really nothing else out there right now I want except for the new Navigator Black Label L. But that is just stupid money for the way we use our SUV.

Yeah, I'd bring it to a detailing pro. They may have some tricks to deal with the shotgun blasted panels. Then just cover them with xpel and at least they wont get worse. Re: the lease comment, I was simply saying that you're truck is pretty far along in its life (using lease length as a proof point of that).

good luck.

The Lincoln nav is sick. But 100K for an american vehicle (let alone a truck)? Yeah no.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try chip doctor I believe is the name where they show a fix for the blasted front of a car. You spread the paint with a small paint spreader and it covers the chips. You then take a supplied product that removes the access paint. Looks pretty slick, easy to apply and may be the fix.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you’re referring to Dr. Colorchip... +1 for a Dr. Colorchip kit.
https://www.drcolorchip.com/

I’ve used their products on an ‘09 Black Raven CTS-V and an ‘06 Black TBSS with great results. Super easy to use and plenty of instructional videos online.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CMoore711, Thanks that's the one just couldn't remember the exact name. I think it would work great for what the OP is trying to accomplish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10