Anyone using an aftermarket MAF?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by NASTY GM, Sep 1, 2018.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. NASTY GM

NASTY GM Full Access Member

Name:
    NA
    I'm going to replace my MAF. Anyone using something other than AC Delco?

2. SunlitComet

SunlitComet OBS Jedi-Do Good

Name:
    Jonathan
    blackbear tuning had once told me that gm mafs have more airflow then one would need. even for a supercharger application. there would be no need to replace it for performance reasons. only failures. stick with a delco or delphi unit.

swathdiver likes this.
  3. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    been mentioned several times on some other gm based forums. a "performance" maf works for like 2 days then the ecm just tunes around the change. the other brands seem to be hit or miss. might work for a while with no problems then it fails. even the kits that change the iat sensor seem to be a joke. follow sunlits suggestion and stick with those brands if you can. if your having issues with your original maf did you try cleaning it with some maf cleaner?

4. SunlitComet

SunlitComet OBS Jedi-Do Good

Name:
    Jonathan
    thanks i was to tired to explain all that. you want sensors to provide true and accurate data and let the computer programming decide what to do with that data.

btw air dry only, no compressed air.

5. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    I used to have a Granatelli on my 2003 Silverado, the overall result was the check engine light coming on a lot, had to be cleaned constantly, sometimes it would go for a while then it would throw a code so I would clean it then drive down the street and it would throw a code again, eventually trashed it. been hesitant to buy one again since then. my comment is it might be more trouble than it's worth. on my nnbs I did swap out the throttle body for a LS7 throttle body, cai, canned tune. I may do more later but the engine is brand new and under warranty at this time.

6. Doubeleive

Name:
    Wes
    and the Granatelli is a OEM sensor that they cut open and modify in some manner then suture it back together it isn't there own creation

7. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    And it still threw codes? I wonder if all the Granatellis are like that or did they just have an issue you with yours. Not sure about now, but back in the day, Granatelli was reutable. Lots of high-po parts.

8. Doubeleive

Name:
    Wes
    I don't know I went online at the time and read about the Granatelli's (a lot) and it seems to be a pretty common thing, lots of reports of there MAF throwing codes, this was on the nbs mind you, I was considering maybe getting one for the nnbs since it's a completely different design but just ran into more comments of them throwing codes as well on the new design so I just haven't pursued it decided to swap the throttle body and thought about maybe getting high energy coil packs etc, but dam there not cheap I would have to like buy a couple then buy a couple next month or something till I eventually ended up with 8 :D

Tonyrodz likes this.
  9. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    granatelli is the one i couldn't remember and i think jet has one aswell. its a known issue with granatelli. the jet one is more stable but still a waste of money. they dont do anything better than the oem one. just pick up an oem one from rock auto.

10. NASTY GM

NASTY GM Full Access Member

Name:
    NA
    I ended up going with a new AC Delco. Thanks everyone!