Anyone running wheel dust shields?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should call them "DIY warped rotor kits".

No, you're not running a F1 race car but you're trying to stop a 6000 lb vehicle. These brakes generate a bunch of heat. A lot of people that I know had problems with these, including myself, in the early 80s. Seems like these turds are making a come-back.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see them on so I hope you go for it. As for seeing them behind my Dub 26" Ballers, no friggin way but maybe on different wheels. My wheels are hard enough to wash as it is, I clean them all the way back to the rear lips.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Really on the many years he had it on his pathfinder, Owned new since 03, never a problem with pads, fade pr uneven wear.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
They should call them "DIY warped rotor kits".

No, you're not running a F1 race car but you're trying to stop a 6000 lb vehicle. These brakes generate a bunch of heat. A lot of people that I know had problems with these, including myself, in the early 80s. Seems like these turds are making a come-back.

I'm not hard in my brakes, and I know how much our truck weighs. Just compare brake systems from the 80s to the mid 2000s. More efficient, run cooler. Plus it's in a truck, which has plenty of air flow with its height compared to something close to the ground like a car.
Anyway how do you explain smoothie wheels and most ppv steel wheels with no spokes or holes for heat to escape from..... same concept ?

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a slightly different issue. I live on a dirt road, so my wheels are always dusted. One trip down that road and they are no longer black.

My biggest issue is with the bolt-on center caps on my Ion Alloy wheels. They are about 4" deep and collect dust inside the back of the caps.
When I wash my wheels, there is dust that I cannot wash out of there, although water does get inside there and create mud.

As soon as I pull out of the wash, that mud runs all down my wheels again from the backside of the caps.
I actually have friends that own a machine shop and they are machining me some new caps out of aluminum that have no cavity on the back and actually sit flush against the rim, so no dust can accumulate back there.

Now, my only dilemma is deciding what image to have laser engraved on the cap.
GMC or a punisher skull are leading the option list...

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PPV's have holes. Just for the record.

The shields are going to end up looking like this: BBS_RS_Turbofans_Porsche_911_03.jpg

And you ain't in no porsche.
At least turbofans were supposed to be functional. I just see the shields acting like a giant pizza cutter, dinner plate wheel, on some of the heaviest non-commercial vehicles on the road. Going to get hot in there.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Yes some ppv have holes, but some don't lol. Those are the ones I'm talking about. Base models with steel wheels, some don't have holes , some have solid hub caps fully covering the wheel.
And those porsche wheels look nothing like the shields posted

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I have a slightly different issue. I live on a dirt road, so my wheels are always dusted. One trip down that road and they are no longer black.

My biggest issue is with the bolt-on center caps on my Ion Alloy wheels. They are about 4" deep and collect dust inside the back of the caps.
When I wash my wheels, there is dust that I cannot wash out of there, although water does get inside there and create mud.

As soon as I pull out of the wash, that mud runs all down my wheels again from the backside of the caps.
I actually have friends that own a machine shop and they are machining me some new caps out of aluminum that have no cavity on the back and actually sit flush against the rim, so no dust can accumulate back there.

Now, my only dilemma is deciding what image to have laser engraved on the cap.
GMC or a punisher skull are leading the option list...

Here's some designs lol

6bf22564-c44c-478d-9f39-c71f1d9fd4cf.jpg

a43b7f7a-44f5-44ca-b44d-5f1b89420269.jpg

WHEEDWHEELDUSTCOVER.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher