anyone do E-fans on a obs??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
A guru...we've lowered the bar :)

Personally I won't mod a truck prior to driving it that far as edzaar mentioned...especially with an electrical install on a critical component. If one relay is bad or the fuse blows, (or the fan motor goes) it could cause you some real pain. With the other areas of stress that driving a new/used vehicle can bring, I wouldn't add any more.

Also, what alternator does this rig come with? If you have the VIN, punch it into a VIN decoder and it will tell you. Personally, I would never install a Mark VIII on <140amp alt b/c of the voltage swings that could really mess with your electrical components. Mark VIII's pull >30amp, which is a LOT compared to your current load.

Shocks are another story. I personally just installed new HDs and like them, but I've never used edl's so I have no basis for comparison. Unless you have a lift to work on, the shocks alone are going to eat up some of your time, esp if you have a lot of rust to deal with.

I know some ppl disagree, but I think the efan mod is more about modding your truck then really accomplishing a performance increase. The benefit is so SMALL and there are now numerous, potential pts of failure to deal with. I love my efan mod, but just be aware you're not really going to see any perf benefits IMHO.

But don't let me discourage you...you may be like me and just love to play around and learn more and get your hands dirty!!

Firstoneman

Reaction score
Good Advice

Okay. I see the wisdom in waiting to do the EFAN mod - so I'll wait.

As for shocks, well...the guy who has the Tahoe, friend of family, went and put shocks on today - without telling me he was going to do so. So I have no idea what I got, but I'm sure I can live with those for the time being :)

Now I don't have anything to do - I've been talked out of the work I was gonna do and a genuinely nice guy just took away my other fun (not that I'm complaining.) It's just that I'd like to do something to it when I get there - start familiarizing myself with my new friend. What do you all think about putting on a new injector spider - would that be trouble for the ride home? If I do this what all do I need, if anything, besides the spider? I'm told in another forum thread it's good to do it. This '99 Tahoe has 154k on it and no major engine work ever. Also, what brand of ad244 do you guys like? Okay, I'm getting off-topic - but since you talked me out of the EFAN for the time being - I'm willing to do something else - preferably something that will possibly enhance the mileage.

Oh, Dave at Hollister mentioned using this fan instead of used ones: he said you can buy them new fairly cheap $65 bucks (a new one almost always has the benefit of being better than an old one, eh.) It's almost identical to the Mark V8 and is dual speed. Here's the link (and if anyone can instruct me how to make it one word, I'd like to know): http://www.amazon.com/TYC-620950-Re...994&vehicleType=automotive&newCar=1&carId=001

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

So for a long ride back without an EFAN, what would be a good, relatively quiet high-flow muffler? My wife hates lots of noise and generally, I'm not needing to hear my beasties roar.

Last edited:

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Wow, that's cheap on that efan!! If that thing can pull serious CFM and the motor in NOT from China, looks like a really sweet deal! (see if you can find out the manuf on the motor and some other specs) I think Siemens makes the Mark VIII motor and durability has been rated high (the reason I asked the manuf question).

In terms of mods, the best bang for the buck is the BB tune, IMHO. Black Bear Performance is a vendor on this forum and if he's traveling to a city near you, I would HIGHLY recommend you reserve a spot. Not only does he custom performance tune your truck, but he'll diagnose any issues you have or don't realize you have. He has also a mail order service for your computer if he's not traveling to your area anytime soon.

As an example, he told me I had a leaky spider on both banks. It wasn't enough to trip a code, but enough he could tell me I will need to replace it soon.

Check out this thread (ported throttle body):
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=389127#post389127

I'm not sold on the idea yet, but if I can see a few good data pts on performance increases, it's a relatively cheap mod and easy to install. But if it just makes my throttle more sensitive, I'm going to pass b/c I actually like the linear acceleration and "touchiness" I currently have.

Also, if you plan on replacing the spider, definitely replace the intake manifold gasket. Those things leak all the time and i believe felpro has a great replacement...kill two birds with one stone on this work b/c your intake manifold gasket will eventually leak.

If you really want to go nuts and plan on modding this thing, check out Long Tube Headers. They can be a beast to install and you will need a few custom bends made for you, but it's a sweet mod (sound) and will improve performance if you plan on modding the air intake and some basic internals. Short tube headers are easy to install and look great, but I keep reading the performance gains are minimal at best.

One of my favorite mods to date has been 4-high + HID's. I bought a $20 kit online (some make their own) for the 4-hi mod and ordered a set of 35w (low) and 55w (high) and I'm seriously blown away by how much more I can see at night. If you do this mod, I would HIGHLY recommend you purchase the wiring harness so you can wire directly off your battery. Esp with the 55w highs, DO NOT wire of your stock wiring system. (lots of posts on here for install...really easy to do, just don't use stock wires for power, just signal). There's a vendor on here that sells the HID kits and I believe folks have been happy with quality.

You can also buy an upgrade Cold Air Intake (CAI), but unless you get your truck custom tuned and/or upgrade the exhaust, the benefits are next to nothing.

Brakes are a big one to mod on this forum b/c our OEM's are AWFUL. If you want to go nuts, upgrade to hydroboost and plan on a full wkd (lots of discussion on this forum and others) tinkering under the hood. On the more simple side of life, you can upgrade to slotted rotors (i.e. R1, Powerslot, etc), high performance pads (Hawk, EMC, etc) and put in new front brake lines (if you like the look of stainless steel, go for it, otherwise there are no perf perks to stainless lines). If you're going to stick with your vacuum system and not move to hydro, DO NOT buy 3/4t calipers, stick with your 1/2t.

Another simple mod that I really like - polyurethane bushings on the end-links and sway bar (front & rear)...really cheap, easy to do and IMO helps with handling.

Off the top of my head I can't remember if your truck was recently tuned up. Whenever I buy a used car, one of the first things I can do is change all the fluids and do a complete tune-up.

Fluids:
Brake Fluid - flush
Coolant - flush the system, DexCool turns accidic over time, so definitely flush completely and add new
Oil - if the truck has conventional in it, stick with conventional...do buy synthetic unless it currently has it and isn't leaking
Trans + Differentials - check and if low, add as necessary.

Maintenance: (i personally use only AC Delco)
Plugs - get premium
Wires
Cap

Am I missing anything guys?? After writing this, I realized we should create a big list of mods and what we've learned about them... a big centralized post for our knowledge. Any takers?

Last edited:

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I just saw a sweet Painless Wiring setup in my 4x4 mag the other day...you can actually set it up to turn the fans off at ANY preset speed for about $200.

It has two temp sensors and activates #1 and #2 fan based on temp. This thing also runs for 30 seconds after the car is turned off....!

Unfortunately its for a 2 fan setup and may burn out a 2spd motor...BUT it may be possible to run a 2spd fan depending on how the power wires are activated

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Doing the e-fans out of a NNBS silverado for my LQ9 swap. Should be great, I'll post pics when I'm done.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
sweet, definitely do...we might as well accomplish something with this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.