Another p0300 mystery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xwt572

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been member for quite some time, but never really needed help with anything serious. Until now of course.
Situation:
2002 Yukon XL, 5.3 flex fuel, trouble code p0300, sometimes another p03xx.
Replaced stuff:
Plugs, wires, coils, injectors, maf, both front o2 sensors.
Symptom: Rough idle, lack of power, really bad mpg.
When I replaced the maf today, I forgot to put the connector back on and started to drive around until it got into closed loop (autoXray ez6000).
Before and after, it already started stumbling when I put a light load on it. I only accelerated up to about 1500-1800 rpm and up to about 30-40 mph. During all this, I had the computer hooked up and kept an eye on the misfires, not a single one.
Long term fuel trim was at 128, rich/lean ratio at 0, AF ratio at 14,2.
Short term fuel trims were at -4 to somewhere like -25%.
I could not really get it to go up in either speed or rpm, more than say 2000, without the engine protesting like hell (cats clogged?).
The weird thing here is that when I plugged in the maf connector and started the engine again, it showed almost instantly multiple misfires on almost every cylinder, with the engine behaving in the same way as before. The ses light came up this time as well, flashing.

Does somebody know if the ECM somehow can't produce troublecodes when the maf connector is disconnected???

A while back, at night, we checked to see if the cats were glowing when the engine was warm. Nothing to see there. This was after we had been pulling a car behind it. That road wasn't really flat, so it had to "work" a bit.

It has a tune from this diablo sports thingy. Problem is that I lost this damn thing, so I can't bring it back to original settings (this is probably why the AF ratio is where it is).

BTW, I'm in europe, so anything regarding to US automotive shops like NAPA and what not will not help here (reading troublecodes and more).

And yes, I did read pretty much any post about p0300 and other related stuff...
Thanks for any input. :) :) :)

OP
OP
X

xwt572

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a number. I read somewhere this should be around 128. I will check the autoxray to see what it was exactly. Also forgot to mention that I did check FP engine on and off. Ignition on: 55-60, engine started, pretty much the same, engine shut off it would drop to 0 within 45 minutes.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be much more suspect of the maf being bad, after about 160k when you start getting issues related to the maf then it's time for a new one, a bad maf can do all kinds of weird stuff throw lean codes, make the transmission shift funky, misfires, power lag, you name it.

OP
OP
X

xwt572

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup. That’s What I thought too. I changed that one today with a new one. First I forgot to put the connector back on the maf. Started driving at slow speeds, no or light load. Even after it got into close loop, I never got a single misfire, no ses light on, no codes present, nothing. But it didn’t want to run at higher rpm and when I tried to go over about 2000, it stumbled, hesitated, ran rough, so I started to think about cats. When I got home, I found out that I missed to put the connector back on. Okay, put it back on, started the engine, and almost instantly, I got a flashing ses light and multiple misfires, lots of misfires on pretty much all eight cylinders.

OP
OP
X

xwt572

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will be working the whole week and can’t get to my car, so ”to be continued”.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. That’s What I thought too. I changed that one today with a new one. First I forgot to put the connector back on the maf. Started driving at slow speeds, no or light load. Even after it got into close loop, I never got a single misfire, no ses light on, no codes present, nothing. But it didn’t want to run at higher rpm and when I tried to go over about 2000, it stumbled, hesitated, ran rough, so I started to think about cats. When I got home, I found out that I missed to put the connector back on. Okay, put it back on, started the engine, and almost instantly, I got a flashing ses light and multiple misfires, lots of misfires on pretty much all eight cylinders.
this was with the new one installed?

OP
OP
X

xwt572

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, but it had the exact same symptoms before I replaced it (just another **** up moneywise, so to say).
We have also checked possible airleaks around the intake with what I believe was brakecleaner. No change in rpm. My son is pretty good with fixing cars and pinpointing problems in all kinds of cars, brands, but this one has him stumped as much as I.

OP
OP
X

xwt572

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since these symptoms have become gradually worse over time, I think it could just be the cats, but we have not noticed any ”glowing in the dark” under the hood.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm I would start checking the wiring harness's for any cracked/broken/worn/rubbing spots and really look at the live data with the scanner, you can get a laser thermometer pretty cheap and check the cat temps that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700