Air Lift 1000 Helper Springs with OE compressor, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get to LKQ to get another set of Jeep coils to cut on. Was out of town last weekend and I'm on call this weekend plus I gotta swap the rockers on my bro's truck. Then the following weekend is Jenn's bday weekend and we may be in Florida. LKQ tends to do 40%-off sales around the holidays so I'm hoping they do for the Memorial Day weekend.

After the COVID-19 stuff halted the flow of parts, I gave up on rushing to get my Tahoe back together.

you forgot Mother’s Day. just tryin to help a brother out

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the grams. I understand about priorities. I just want things to go smooth reinstalling my trans this weekend. I have a 2-3 day window of good weather before it starts raining so I can’t afford problems. I have all my ducks in a row as they say. Fingers crossed.

Thank you. It's all good, though. She was ready a long time ago and was relieved that her time was finally coming. Really cool and tough ol' broad, she was.

Be safe under that truck this weekend. Watch them pinch points.

RobH

Reaction score
Using an onboard compressor for the Air Lift rear coil bags controlled from the front seat is a more expensive and higher tech way to control the air in the bags. People typically put 5 psi in them unloaded and then put in what is needed to level the vehicle when loaded or with a trailer tongue load on the hitch.

I'd rather spend my money on an air compressor at Lowes or Home Depot which I can have in the garage to air up tires, blow crud away from spark plugs, etc. Or, air them up when needed at a gas station.

FWIW and YMMV. :)

durbancic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is correct. The airlift bags are only designed to hold a max of 35 PSI in each bag. The factory air compressor would way overload them.
@PLohr
As to your replacement shocks question it totally depends on what you’re going to use the vehicle for. If you’re not doing any sort of towing then a standard shock and resistor worked into place for the auto ride sensor isn’t a bad way to go, it’s way cheaper, however I believe changing out the coil spring is also required on that solution.
If you plan to tow at all replacing them with the arnott air ride shocks is 100% the best way to go. It keeps the air ride shocks and the soft and stable OEM ride quality, plus if your towing it keeps the auto level function which I think is a major benefit when towing.
I have a 2006 xl Denali with factory air ride. I replaced my blown factory air shocks with the arnott air shocks and couldn’t be happier. It rides really well. Their shocks are the best. I also have a set of airlift springs installed in my rear coil springs as I do a lot of towing and the airlift bags help tremendously. My truck is incredibly stable when I’m pulling the near 6,000lb sea ray speed boat that I help with. I run air to them from a separate compressor.

I know that I am digging up and old thread...found it through search.
I have an '11 Denali XL and the rear shocks are blown. Not sure if the compressor even works. I tow a 21' Travel Trailer. Was thinking about converting from the air suspension to shocks but this thread has convinced me to go w/ the Arnott's. However, I was also looking at the Air Lift 1000 al60769 but etrailer says that they do not work for auto leveling suspension. But you did use them? Were there any modifications needed to make them work w/ the auto-leveling?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that I am digging up and old thread...found it through search.
I have an '11 Denali XL and the rear shocks are blown. Not sure if the compressor even works. I tow a 21' Travel Trailer. Was thinking about converting from the air suspension to shocks but this thread has convinced me to go w/ the Arnott's. However, I was also looking at the Air Lift 1000 al60769 but etrailer says that they do not work for auto leveling suspension. But you did use them? Were there any modifications needed to make them work w/ the auto-leveling?
Most sites say they don’t work with air ride. But they do. I use them in tandem with my Z55 suspension. And as it turns out the sea ray that I pull is quite a bit less than I thought. I finally had the opportunity before pulling her up the mountain to weigh her and boat trailer came in at 4,360lbs… lol. She looks massive sitting on her trailer.

Anyways no special modifications necessary. The bags fit perfectly inside my rear coil springs. It’s not too difficult of a DIY job. I just didn’t have the time to do it myself. Been running them nearly three years now I think without any issues. And I travel a lot but those bags have held up perfectly and make a huge difference when towing. I keep them full at 35PSI when towing and when unloaded I run the about 15ish PSI and ride quality is great that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu