Air Conditioner Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donf

Reaction score
While clearing codes I decided to get the AC up and running. Or at least try. It was last replace in 2009 9 (at a Chevy dealer).. Compressor, Orifice tube, dryer, etc.
Remember now, the truck has sat for almost 10 years with only occasional starting and very, very little actual driving.
Anyway, pressures were low. So low the compressor would not start. Put in 2 cans, pressures stabilized at correct-ish levels.
But....-
on an 80 -82 degree day yesterday while idling in the driveway I could get 54 degrees at the center vent, driving at 1500 -2000 RPM I can get 48-50 degrees.. I'm really happy with it, I was consigned to evacuation the system at the least and replacing everything at most. I've never cleaned the evaporator , tried to get to it from the blower motor and it just got to difficult to continue with everything operating OK.
I am wondering if cleaning would improve idle cooling?

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion...I would run with it for a while and monitor the pressure on regular intervals or if you notice a significant rise in temperature. If it sat in a garage for ten years (after a complete replacement) the seals may not have deteriorated that bad as you said you pumped in two bottles and it's working pretty good. Maybe all it needed was a little seal/O-ring/parts lubrication and your good to go. Be happy, but cautious, and go forward and enjoy your ride (with the windows up and the A/C chilling to the max or as cold as the wife can stand). Give it a while and see what happens. Unless you have unlimited funds and want to replace the set up again. But that's just my opinion...Okay, who wants pie!!!! Aloha!!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While clearing codes I decided to get the AC up and running. Or at least try. It was last replace in 2009 9 (at a Chevy dealer).. Compressor, Orifice tube, dryer, etc.
Remember now, the truck has sat for almost 10 years with only occasional starting and very, very little actual driving.
Anyway, pressures were low. So low the compressor would not start. Put in 2 cans, pressures stabilized at correct-ish levels.
But....-
on an 80 -82 degree day yesterday while idling in the driveway I could get 54 degrees at the center vent, driving at 1500 -2000 RPM I can get 48-50 degrees.. I'm really happy with it, I was consigned to evacuation the system at the least and replacing everything at most. I've never cleaned the evaporator , tried to get to it from the blower motor and it just got to difficult to continue with everything operating OK.
I am wondering if cleaning would improve idle cooling?
just more then likely the seals are bad or rotted

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, you have a very slow leakage, or it would have been empty. Likely seals as has been stated.

Also, clean and blow out the a/c condenser to allow for better dissipation of heat there. Make sure your fan clutch is in top shape, too.

OP
OP
D

Donf

Reaction score
I suspected that the refrigerant would rush out as fast as it went in, but it didn't. Left it running, went in had a sandwich and a beer. Came out expecting it would be empty, it wasn't and the needles were as I left them. Checked every other day because I figured they would be bad.
Been 9 days and they are still where they were last week. I'll just wait until the thing doesn't cool.
Think I'll wait on cleaning the evaporator, just cant get that blower cover off.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blower cover has a flap at the top that fits over a tab (sorry, best I can describe it). Maybe it’s sticking there.

If it hasn’t been done, getting all of the debris off of the evaporator does help.

OP
OP
D

Donf

Reaction score
The blower cover has a flap at the top that fits over a tab (sorry, best I can describe it). Maybe it’s sticking there.

If it hasn’t been done, getting all of the debris off of the evaporator does help.

Thanks, I'll think about trying it again. I have girly fingers, thanks to Dupuytrens Contracture. Sometimes I have better grip and sometimes it's plain flat embarrassing. I was thinking of having my wife do it but as it turns out she has girly fingers too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts