aftermarket RosenNav ipod connection question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakehalligan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
new to forum (obviously) with my first question.

just purchased an '11 LT that i had the dealer add the Rosen Nav to. it is the exact same as the stock GM Rosen Nav but w/ added SD card reader/Map SD/mini USB connection in the front. dealer said this is stock unit GM puts in when customers want to add Nav. i'm sure i'm being superfluous here, but just want to make sure i explain unit correctly.

so far so good: overall, better in some areas, worse in others compared to the JVC KW3HDT i installed on the '11 4Runner i traded in.

the biggest gripe is the ipod interface: it's brutal.

first, to make clear, i'm not sure what the interface is but it's a white cable installed in the glove box. it seems very similar to a USA Spec(i think?) aftermarket ipod interface i got from Crutchfield four years ago for my '04 Ram 1500 Infinity stock system. i had problems w/ that interface also.

the lag between pushing the steering wheel/screen buttons and ipod response is ridiculous. that's if a command is even registered. to get a track to advance, i have to first touch track i want, wait for it to skip two or three times, start playing, then push back (arrow down on steering wheel) for track to begin to play again, then i am able to use track forward. but, if i want to fast forward a few tracks, i have to hit the arrow w/i two or three seconds or else the command won't register. rarely though, arrows work fine on steering wheel but sometimes the grey color changes to green, sometimes not. in addition the whole system seems archaic and outdated

i should add that i am using the same ipod i had w/ the Ram: 80GB 5th gen classic w/ up-to-date software. it worked fine w/ JVC unit in 4Runner i just had, so i assume it is the interface/cable.

has anyone else experienced this? is the unit/cable bunk? i've have been streaming music from my phone via BT w/o any problems, but w/ 5000+ songs on the ipod, that's what i'd rather use.

i know this is a bit long but i hope members can help.

thanks in advance.

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know where your coming from and I hate that I spent all that money for this unit, I have all the same issue you described including that the gps does not work in canada and that it skips tracks on certain albums and it takes a long time to get to a track it also does not show all of my playlist. I also have a ford e-350 van with a pioneer avic x910bt and is way more advance then the rosen unit. The only good thing of the rosen unit is that I did not have to install a mic for the bluetooth and the rear camera was just plug and play. :emotions122:

OP
OP
J

jakehalligan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for commenting.

haven't had the gps problem, if anything it is much more responsive than the JVC unit.

but, again, the ipod interface is atrocious. driving to work tonight, i wanted to rip the bleepin' thing out and do a hat dance on it.

i wish a member w/ the "stock" nav would comment on this. i'd be curious to see if it's a known problem.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

08z71tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought the same unit on ebay for $475 + 70 for the ipod cable... hope i dont have this issue after the instal

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Luck. I also bought mine from ebay along with the back up camera, right now not to sure if i want to start all over. After you install it tell me if you see your playlist as well as does it skip over certain tracks.

puyallup87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah i just bought a 2012 tahoe with the rosen nav installed by the dealership and my ipod wont sync up with it. any suggestions?

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things might be going on 1 the ipod wire may not be connected behind the radio. 2 you might have an ipod that is not compatible with the head unit I myself have an ipod classic as well as an ipod touch, the radio synced much better with the classic than the touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullyfiberchick