After all that work...probably getting rid of the Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son is driving an hour each way for work every day and is getting tired of filling up every other day. The dilemma is to keep the Yukon and let him buy a new car or let him sell it to help him buy new.

I just replaced all the shocks and springs, new brakes all around, new radiator, new water pump, rear main seal, pinion seal and yoke, changed out all fluids except transmission...dammit.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Before all that work, was the MPG the same? If it was, and I assume it was, why the change of heart now? Over all my years of driving, MPG has never been at the top of my list and I knew what my rigs MPG and either I accepted it or didn't. I would keep it and buy an old Datsun 210 or VW Beetle for drive to work.

OP
OP
S

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. He just graduated and got his first job. Living at home for a few months (or longer). Weighing whether a new car payment or big gas bills are the poison he wants to pick. Hoping to wait until next summer when his new Bronco will be delivered.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like he just wants a new bronco. The step up in mpg probably wouldn’t be enough to cover the step up in insurance, not even getting into the car payment.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since it is summertime it's a great season for sleeping in the truck, a monthly subscription to a gym gives access to showers and beats gas back and forth, this could be a m-f thing and weekends at home for laundry or whatever. sometimes we have to do what have to do to get ahead. just my .02 cents
admittedly for some it's a unfathomable thing.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id tell him this as follows... " You want a new vehicle, move out, get a rainy day fund, while paying your other bills, allocate the car payment money into savings.. When you have 5k to put down then you can get a new vehicle. Till then you don't finance a damn thing while living here."

I financed a vehicle when I was living at home, worst thing I ever did... Postponed me moving out longer than I wanted, but that whole Want crap before needs ******* me.