After all that work...probably getting rid of the Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
After reading the OP again. If you feel inclined to help him out. You could sell and give him half... But still no financing unless he is out on his own.
I misinterpreted it too.

I guess it’s more a matter of what the rest of the fleet looks like and if the Yukon has a useful slot

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son is driving an hour each way for work every day and is getting tired of filling up every other day. The dilemma is to keep the Yukon and let him buy a new car or let him sell it to help him buy new.

I just replaced all the shocks and springs, new brakes all around, new radiator, new water pump, rear main seal, pinion seal and yoke, changed out all fluids except transmission...dammit.
Tell him too bad. He made a commitment and needs to stick with it. The reliability and safety that that truck provides pales in comparison to having to refuel more often. He'll spend more on a newer vehicle anyway, not in fuel of course, but everything else! He loco.

I wish GM had provided larger fuel tanks, we refuel the Sierra every two days whether we drive it or not it seems! It reminds me of the old USS Coontz, she needed fuel every four days no matter what!

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
What happens if something goes wrong and the income stops? Well, the gas payment will stop too. Will a new car payment do that?

And I can’t follow how gas cost is a concern but a new Bronco is in the scenario???

Sorry, I know this sound harsh but that’s the road to financial servitude.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention, the fuel mileage will increase drastically if you drop your cruising speed down. On my Esky, at 85, 14-15 mpg. At 60-65, 19-21mpg.

I know its not Ford Bronco fuel mileage, but its also not a Ford Bronco payment, or... Well lets be honest.. A Ford. :)

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if something goes wrong and the income stops? Well, the gas payment will stop too. Will a new car payment do that?

And I can’t follow how gas cost is a concern but a new Bronco is in the scenario???

Sorry, I know this sound harsh but that’s the road to financial servitude.
This is by far the best advise I have seen. Lots of self inflicted issues. WHy take a job an hour away?? IM assuming it pays well and its worth it? So then buck up and foot the gas bill, move closer or find a lesser paying job closer to home. You just cant go around making those kind of decisions and not understand its a direct result of your own choices.

Next thing you know you have to figure out how to handle the new car payment because the boy got laid off or cant stand the drive and finds another job closer to home.

OP
OP
S

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id tell him this as follows... " You want a new vehicle, move out, get a rainy day fund, while paying your other bills, allocate the car payment money into savings.. When you have 5k to put down then you can get a new vehicle. Till then you don't finance a damn thing while living here."

I financed a vehicle when I was living at home, worst thing I ever did... Postponed me moving out longer than I wanted, but that whole Want crap before needs ******* me.
It's not a responsibility issue or anything else. He is waiting to get an apartment in the other city because we need him taking care of the farm for a few weeks this summer while we move our daughter in to college. What you thought you read in this post was not it. He could also pay cash for damn near any car he wants but he would rather save that money for a down payment on a house when he is ready. He spends money like every dollar out of his pocket comes with a knife to the gut.

OP
OP
S

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the OP again. If you feel inclined to help him out. You could sell and give him half... But still no financing unless he is out on his own.
He doesn't want to sell it. He has a personal pride moment every time someone asks him how many miles it has on it (302,000 now).

OP
OP
S

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is by far the best advise I have seen. Lots of self inflicted issues. WHy take a job an hour away?? IM assuming it pays well and its worth it? So then buck up and foot the gas bill, move closer or find a lesser paying job closer to home. You just cant go around making those kind of decisions and not understand its a direct result of your own choices.

Next thing you know you have to figure out how to handle the new car payment because the boy got laid off or cant stand the drive and finds another job closer to home.
Damn, y'all just come up with all kinds of scenarios in your heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts