Advice wanted on replacement transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe Z71 with 73,000 on it. I when I got it (2K ago), I had my mechanic zero out all the fluids in the vehicle. Including flush and replace the transmission and transfer case fluids.

Now I get a I am getting a P0894 code (Transmission Component Slipping). Any thoughts on this?

Worst case scenario. Say it's smarter to replace the transmission. New GM? Rebuilt GM? Brand X rebuild? What are your thoughts on warranties and what are some approximate costs?

Thank you all in advance.

Dan

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Without a doubt I always recommend Jasper Engine for engines, transmissions and axles. Best going IMO. Great warranty and all over the U.S. Used them for years with never a problem. But you will get others that may have a different option.

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
You may want to shop a salvage yard that specializes in Yukons, Tahoes, and trucks. Here in NC, there is a salvage yard J&T (www.jandtauto.com) that specialize in our specific vehicles. I have several friends who purchased a low mileage trans for between $650 and $800 bucks and just had it replaced in their Suburbans. A rebuild is around $1500 so a much better deal. I'm getting ready to purchase one myself. Just one opinion though.

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
I noticed in another post you referenced replacing with a 4L80 instead. Should I be looking to do that as opposed to another 4L60?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at least get a 4l65E its basically a upgraded 4l60e
you dont need a 4l80e its going to cost you an arm and a leg
i just recently had the 4l60e in my 2002 shit the bed and i had a 4l65e rebuilt and put in
id recomend against buying like a low mileage/used transmission out of another vehicle
becuase theres a chance you mite wind up in the same boat not to far down the road
rebuilt tranny everythings brand spanken new and typically the shop that does it will warranty it for so many miles i got an 18k warranty on mine
and if you go the rebuilt route id recomend a vette servo and shift kit and new torque converter

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
In what vehicles were the 4L65e found? Are they able to be bolted right up without any changes? Sorry for all of the newb questions.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In what vehicles were the 4L65e found? Are they able to be bolted right up without any changes? Sorry for all of the newb questions.

The 4L65 should be in any truck/suv that has the 6.0L engine, Escalade, Denali, the 6.0L equipped trucks. It is the same trans case so bolting up shouldn't be an issue.

Also the RPO code. It should be M30 for the 4L60 and M32 for the 4L65 transmission.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe Z71 with 73,000 on it. I when I got it (2K ago), I had my mechanic zero out all the fluids in the vehicle. Including flush and replace the transmission and transfer case fluids.

Now I get a I am getting a P0894 code (Transmission Component Slipping). Any thoughts on this?

Worst case scenario. Say it's smarter to replace the transmission. New GM? Rebuilt GM? Brand X rebuild? What are your thoughts on warranties and what are some approximate costs?

Thank you all in advance.

Dan

New GM? LMAO! Have you checked prices on those? LOL

Find a reputable trans shop in your area that has decent pricing and have them rebuild yours if you can spare the time without the vehicle for 1-2 weeks. If time is a factor have the same shop sawp yours out for one they have already rebuilt. Not to step on raiderron's toes (because he is very knowledgable in the automotive field and may have had a different experience) but Jasper has sent me 3 bad trannys in the past 5 years. They owned up and warrantied them but you really want to get the job right for your customer in my line of work. Reputation is everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts