Advice on 2021 Tahoe, 5.3 V8 vs. Duramax 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for finding that. But not all Z71 are equipped with adaptive air. And it’s not clear if this particular one was. Although, there has been an early assembly hiccup where some air lines were not properly seated.

It’s a pretty interesting system when you read this internal GM briefing. Give it a read. You might be surprised.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=13498

txchevy4ever

Reaction score
The user stated it was air-ride equipped. I've actually seen that article before, and it's nothing new. Ask any service department... they're nothing but trouble.

Vic Vinegar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
21 Yukon XL Denali ultimate package duramax. Rides like on a pillow without a trailer. Not much worse under load. MPG is crap under load but didn’t buy a hippy Prius so who cares. Had a 17 Tahoe 5.3 and it handled the same 7000 trailer just fine. Diesel is more reliable in the long run but costs more when it breaks down.

Leothecat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sadly, we can hardly get a peep from any Duramax owners on here about their driving and ownership experiences... Maybe there really aren't that many, or they are happy and don't visit, but some real world input would certainly be nice for those of us that are on the fence about getting a Dmax....
Ok , real world input.
I had to go to Indiana to pick up my yukon denali 3.0 duramax.
Drove it home to Minnesota and just love it . Been a gasser all my life and test drove one before buying and thought I’d giv it a try. 27 mpg all the way home and have only used little more than 1 tank of fuel.
very quiet and very fast tourque is amazing just love it

serveace

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got my Tahoe last week. Midnight blue LT with 3.0 diesel. Live in Pittsburgh, had to pick it up in VA. Drove ~450 miles. Didn't even use 3/4 tank of fuel and averaged 29.5 MPG according to the trip computer. Have the RSE, which was great for the kids. Rides smooth. Has a bit of a diesel rumble, but not too bad.

20210803_205122.jpg

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO it comes down to preference and nothing to do with the gas prices. I love and prefer the range and power delivery of diesel compared to gas. Came to Gm from Ford due to GM offering multiple diesels throughout the lineup. Started with purchasing a 2016 Canyon 2.8L LWN diesel for my daughter's first ride. Absolutely love that little thing and have towed cattle and our deckover trailer with it often. Next we picked up a 2018 GMC Terrain with the LH7 1.6 diesel. Thing has been one of the most fun little commuter/beaters I've ever owned. Long trips with little luggage and daily driving is an absolute blast and the handling on it is equivalent to many sports crossover and SUV's that I've driven. As the daughter graduated from HS and now is in Ag/Large Animal Science at CSU she needed a larger truck capable of hauling larger loads and I ordered her a 2021 AT 1500 with the LM2. While waiting for it to come in, a dealership in Denver had one hit their lot when I was visiting and we swung over to get a test drive. I was so blown away that I ordered one for myself in the Elevation trim.

Since then my wife has fallen so in love with my truck that we sold her POS Expedition Platinum and until I can find her a 2021 Denali with the LM2 3.0 diesel I'm stuck back in the Terrain.

Is it 6.2L power absolutely not. I'd compare it to a 1st Gen Turbo Diesel tuned. As soon as tunes are available for these LM2 powered rigs they absolutely will however blow 6.2L away. They are extremely detuned for emissions. We have since towed all over the western US with them with zero issues. For daily commutes they are a blast to drive and there is zero need to WOT them like a 5.3L while towing or to merge. I've also driven the Ford and RAM variants and would say those are more Euro spec high rev diesel's while the power of the LM2 is more of the American diesel power delivery I'm used to from my HD diesels in my fleets and driveway.

So look at the option as more of a top option purchase than a comparison to the 5.3L savings. It will absolutely hold a higher value down the road in the thousands of dollars just like my Excursions have. You can get a 5.4L Excursion all day long for dirt cheap, while the 7.3L Excursions are bringing premiums close to or above original sticker price.
Thanks for the info about the little Terrain Diesel.. I have now put this on my radar. Wasnt even aware they existed. Is this the same engine thats in the 2015 Cruze Diesel?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the little Terrain Diesel.. I have now put this on my radar. Wasnt even aware they existed. Is this the same engine thats in the 2015 Cruze Diesel?
Terrain is back off the list. Found 2 of them for sale locally, a 2018 and 2019. Peppy off the line (lites the tires up easily), but OMG slow at anything above 35mph.

GmcJing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
3500 miles on my 3.0 diesel and it is everything I hoped it would be. 30 mpg on the interstate, 23-25 in the city. Diesel is the same price as gas where I live, the $1000 upgrade over 5.3 gas was worth every penny IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep