Advice on 2021 Tahoe, 5.3 V8 vs. Duramax 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txchevy4ever

Reaction score
Took our 4wd Tahoe Premiere Duramax with all options (basically it's a high country, even the stupid 22" wheels) on a 352 mile round trip yesterday. Averaged 29 mpg and didn't even dip below 1/2 a tank. The other thing, having had the 6.2 and 5.3 in my previous 3 vehicles, is how little this sucker reacts, fully loaded, up hills going 75 mph. The RPM's barely climb... smooth as butter with the mag ride. Best Chevy truck I've owned out of my 2 previous Tahoes and my 2015 Silverado LTZ Z71.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took our 4wd Tahoe Premiere Duramax with all options (basically it's a high country, even the stupid 22" wheels) on a 352 mile round trip yesterday. Averaged 29 mpg and didn't even dip below 1/2 a tank. The other thing, having had the 6.2 and 5.3 in my previous 3 vehicles, is how little this sucker reacts, fully loaded, up hills going 75 mph. The RPM's barely climb... smooth as butter with the mag ride. Best Chevy truck I've owned out of my 2 previous Tahoes and my 2015 Silverado LTZ Z71.

How do the 22" wheels ride? Do yo have air ride, wonder if this is a requirement to smooth the road with 22" wheels.

Going the High Country or Denali route the Duramax is a $1500 credit and would be a simple decision when compared with the 6.2 gasser for economy even if one didn't tow or drive more than 10,000 miles per year, IMO.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question on the diesel if only doing local trips and occasionally long drive. Is it bad for these new diesels to go on short trips?
As already mentioned, diesels work best when run all day. Particularly on the highway.

But diesels can be used as grocery getters and mommy mobiles as long as your usage falls within the following suggested guidelines:

Diesels should never be started and stopped with less than 60 seconds running time. If you need to marshal your vehicle fleet around your driveway then a diesel is not a good fit for you.

A short trip would be defined as engine running 1-10 minutes.

A medium trip is engine running 11-29 minutes.

A long trip is engine running 30 or more minutes.

For every six short trips a diesel needs one long trip.

For every ten medium trips a diesel needs one long trip.

Most people’s driving patterns fall within these parameters. But not everyone.

Source: Eight years driving Chevrolet’s 2.0L diesel.

txchevy4ever

Reaction score
How do the 22" wheels ride? Do yo have air ride, wonder if this is a requirement to smooth the road with 22" wheels.

Going the High Country or Denali route the Duramax is a $1500 credit and would be a simple decision when compared with the 6.2 gasser for economy even if one didn't tow or drive more than 10,000 miles per year, IMO.

The 22"s ride smooth, I just prefer more sidewall protection offroad. I have had air-ride before on my previous GM's and would NEVER have it again. I have mag ride. only.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As already mentioned, diesels work best when run all day. Particularly on the highway.

But diesels can be used as grocery getters and mommy mobiles as long as your usage falls within the following suggested guidelines:

Diesels should never be started and stopped with less than 60 seconds running time. If you need to marshal your vehicle fleet around your driveway then a diesel is not a good fit for you.

A short trip would be defined as engine running 1-10 minutes.

A medium trip is engine running 11-29 minutes.

A long trip is engine running 30 or more minutes.

For every six short trips a diesel needs one long trip.

For every ten medium trips a diesel needs one long trip.

Most people’s driving patterns fall within these parameters. But not everyone.

Source: Eight years driving Chevrolet’s 2.0L diesel.

This is some reasonable logic and a good guideline.....

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 22"s ride smooth, I just prefer more sidewall protection offroad. I have had air-ride before on my previous GM's and would NEVER have it again. I have mag ride. only.

Agree with having more sidewall. Did you have problems with the air ride? I would think it might reduce leaning and improve handling.

txchevy4ever

Reaction score
Agree with having more sidewall. Did you have problems with the air ride? I would think it might reduce leaning and improve handling.

Like the posts on here already showing problems with the 2021's... they're never level, when they break they never break level, they get "sticky" when the compressor gets warm (common here in Texas)...

I had terrible luck with them in my Tahoe prior to my 2015 Silverado. The suspension was never right day one off the lot... look up "Air ride delete" and you'll see lot of why folks look to replace them. They sound nice, but your geometry is always slightly out of whack unless they're in the neutral position.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the posts on here already showing problems with the 2021's... they're never level, when they break they never break level, they get "sticky" when the compressor gets warm (common here in Texas)...

I had terrible luck with them in my Tahoe prior to my 2015 Silverado. The suspension was never right day one off the lot... look up "Air ride delete" and you'll see lot of why folks look to replace them. They sound nice, but your geometry is always slightly out of whack unless they're in the neutral position.
I don’t want to discount your past experience. But I believe your referencing the Z86 premium smooth ride with air leveller suspension used on the previous generation.

As I understand it, that was steel springs with rear air assist.

The current generation F47 air ride adaptive suspension, is an air spring at all four corners. There are no steel springs. It is similar in concept to the air suspension that GM used on city transit busses, back in the day.

txchevy4ever

Reaction score
I don’t want to discount your past experience. But I believe your referencing the Z86 premium smooth ride with air leveller suspension used on the previous generation.

As I understand it, that was steel springs with rear air assist.

The current generation F47 air ride adaptive suspension, is an air spring at all four corners. There are no steel springs. It is similar in concept to the air suspension that GM used on city transit busses, back in the day.

So now they've moved the problematic parts to all 4 corners. There are already posts on this board of folks with tilted Tahoe/Yukons. That's exactly what the previous generation did.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now they've moved the problematic parts to all 4 corners. There are already posts on this board of folks with tilted Tahoe/Yukons. That's exactly what the previous generation did.
No one is going to question your right to form an opinion regarding the current system based on a previous system. But truthfully I don’t recall reading any posts on tilted 2021s with adaptive air.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan