Advice on 2021 Tahoe, 5.3 V8 vs. Duramax 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/g35917308/2021-gmc-yukon-denali-duramax-review/

Interesting article.... the writer must not realize that almost all diesels have a engine block heater regardless of the engine size.... Id much rather have it hidden, than a plug/cord popping out from the grille somewhere.

I personally think this is a BS article. I own 3 diesels and 2 0f the 3 will start down to -15 without ANY plug in at all. I left my JEEP GC EcoDiesel at an airport for a week in the winter and when we landed at midnight it was -10. It was so cold my aluminum trim was growing frost hair on the inside of the vehicle. It turned over and fired up in less than 15 seconds after sitting for a week in minus zero temps. We drove it 140 miles home after midnight in -10 and some bad winter conditions. Not a plug in outlet in sight. I do plug my RAM Cummins in as 3 gal of practically frozen oil and a 1000# frozen block are hard to turn over.
Something is amiss with this article, as I'm pretty sure the DMax can handle zero deg weather no problem on its own....

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Interesting article.... the writer must not realize that almost all diesels have a engine block heater regardless of the engine size.... Id much rather have it hidden, than a plug/cord popping out from the grille somewhere.
You know the author is stretching when the only criticism leveled is to relate a story about a diesel experience a decade earlier. And in that case was likely due to having a tank of summer fuel.

OP
OP
Haninoy

Haninoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I want to thank everyone who responded to this post. There were some really good advice on both engine types.

I ended up ordering the 3.0 diesel on March 10th and I just took delivery today.

I only drove it a few miles home, but so far it's quieter than the 5.3 during idle and the diesel engine definitely sounds different. I've never owned diesel before, but drives pretty good so far.

Thanks again everyone!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah this article is pretty BS in my opinion. My family all lives in Vermont, but with one set of relatives in natick mass. We almost always fly into Boston, stay with them a few days and then drive up to Vermont to see the rest of the family. And while I’ve never had a diesel rental on the east coast, I’ve never come across a station that doesn’t have diesel fuel.... lol even in Vermont just about every station carries diesel....

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah this article is pretty BS in my opinion. My family all lives in Vermont, but with one set of relatives in natick mass. We almost always fly into Boston, stay with them a few days and then drive up to Vermont to see the rest of the family. And while I’ve never had a diesel rental on the east coast, I’ve never come across a station that doesn’t have diesel fuel.... lol even in Vermont just about every station carries diesel....
I agree. When I lived in Boston I had a BMW diesel and never had any problems either finding fuel anywhere in the northeast, or getting it to start easily in cold weather. Modern diesels have heaters built into the fuel system.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. When I lived in Boston I had a BMW diesel and never had any problems either finding fuel anywhere in the northeast, or getting it to start easily in cold weather. Modern diesels have heaters built into the fuel system.
I live in a ski town in the socal mountains and I regularly use the diesels that belong to my best friends parents when I house sit for them. And I never have problems starting them up in the winter either. Though its rare to be down below 20 degrees, though it occasionally happens. But still the trucks startup no problem.

jac1304

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question on the diesel if only doing local trips and occasionally long drive. Is it bad for these new diesels to go on short trips?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you truly only do short (less than 10 mile} trips 90% of the time, then yes. Buy the 5.3 and it will be fully sufficient. The diesel really only has 2 advantages... Mileage and towing efficiency. We roll 5-7K miles a year (along with other daily miles...) strictly on vacation and interstates and expect our incoming Denali Dmax to wow us as we rip up the miles. I'm also looking for the extended range that diesel gives you. We can drive 600 miles a day and appreciate that we don't have to stop for fuel. We pack food and drink and don't want to deal with truck stops and swamped traveler areas with our dog.
Diesels need to be run, they love long trips and hot conditions. Don't like short trips and cold. If you can't expose it to a good 30-50 mile drive once a week or so, it might not be the best choice....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442