Additional road noise when going in straight line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently noticed when traveling about 45mph or more I have what I would describe as more road/tire noise but only when traveling straight. If I slightly turn to the left or right like to change lanes the noise goes away but as soon as you steer it straight it returns. The noise is not loud at all and I only notice it if the radio is off. To me it sounds like it is coming from the left front of the vehicle. So far I have put that tire in the air and there is no play in the wheel up or down. My tires are pretty worn and about to be replaced but I swapped the left front and rear tire and there was no difference. The alignment seems fine and there is only some slight more wear on the inner portion of what was on the front left but the other front tire looks the same. The previous owner put aftermarket keys on to level the front but otherwise it's stock with 265K miles. Any ideas? I have no other suspension noises so i'm out of ideas.

OP
OP
03z71chevy

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will check that today. One correction to make from my above description. The noise does not go away when I steer slight left but only to the right.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks, I will check that today. One correction to make from my above description. The noise does not go away when I steer slight left but only to the right.

Usually that would point at the right side because you are taking the weight off of it, but that doesn't always ring true. Check for play from 12-6 on either of the front hubs.

OP
OP
03z71chevy

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I put both front tires in the air and found no play at the 12-6 on either. Also each seem to spin fine and i'm not hearing any noises.

OP
OP
03z71chevy

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got my brand new tires put on and I have the exact same noise. I am noticing that it is really more of a vibration and I can feel it in the steering wheel if helps any.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the wheels re-aligned again after crawling under there and examining the steering linkage for excess/unnecessary movement. If you had an alignment done recently, the charge should be covered but confer with management. If there is evidence of abnormal tire wear, the truck def has an alignment problem. Crawl underneath and check the moving parts with front tires and weight still on the ground. Then, Have a 2nd person turn the steering wheel while you are using hands & eyes on the moving joints & assemblies underneath the chassis, front end lifted and both tires off of the ground, and again with most of the weight and tires back on the ground, if necessary. To confirm your findings, ask the tech at the alignment shop to inform you of his locating anything requiring service or replacement BEFORE you go into any detail of your concerns. Using what you think/know as a baseline, compare the info provided to you by pros as a double check.

I would say you have a lot of diagnostic left on the table.

You stated 'the alignment seems fine,' but the eyeball test is inconclusive & weak assessment, at BEST. Plus, the tire has accelerated wear on the inside location which should be a dead giveaway. If you find any ball joints and steering links that are really obviously faulty, any and all replacements should be made before having another alignment performed. But something like a failed pitman or idler assembly, even control arm ball joints will take an exercise to diagnose so gather info from the web or obtain a workshop manual if you have intentions toward DIY evidence gathering. These suggestions go against the above where asking a tech @ time of alignment but I have no way of knowing if you are DIYer so hopefully I don't get beat on too badly I don't want to confuse you. But you should get the gist in that even if you can't or are unable to DIY repair&replace, at least have a good idea of the problem sources and the extent of work you would like to have done. At that many miles, I would be optimistic there are other serviceable items underlying a poor alignment condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
03z71chevy

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Chubbs. I did some looking around again today by myself and tomorrow I should have someone that can help me. The noise is certainly louder this past week so I am getting more concerned. I am debating on replacing a lot in the front end due to the mileage and from what I can tell everything is original. I'll keep everyone updated.

OP
OP
03z71chevy

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for an update I did resolve my vibration issue. To get to the point it was the drivers side wheel bearing. It became easier to diagnose as the noise became louder and I could tell it was from the drivers side. After checking everything else on the front end I went ahead and replaced the pitman arm as well as the idler arm and bracket. Little more of a job replacing those but not that big of a deal for anyone considering doing it themselves.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for an update I did resolve my vibration issue. To get to the point it was the drivers side wheel bearing. It became easier to diagnose as the noise became louder and I could tell it was from the drivers side.

Pete told you that near two months ago! AND he did it from New York! ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288