Adding XM radio, to upgraded NAV Radio in 2013 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I upgraded the standard radio to a GM NAV radio, it is capable of XM radio, but I don't have the antenna installed.

I am thinking of doing that, since I want to replace the shark fin I used to cover up an antenna hole.

I saw this XM shark fin antenna, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Silv...515082?hash=item34097d704a:g:4GwAAOSwRaFcwxyz

and wondering two things:
- would this antenna work with the GM NAV radio? (chevy silverado "stuff' seems to be inter-changeable, when the years are close).
- Is there an XM antenna extension cable that would work? The radio has a different connector then the antenna seems to have.

I'll attach the pics for them. The XM port/antenna on the radio is the gold one:

thanks,

Ron3.jpg s-l500.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I upgraded the standard radio to a GM NAV radio, it is capable of XM radio, but I don't have the antenna installed.

I am thinking of doing that, since I want to replace the shark fin I used to cover up an antenna hole.

I saw this XM shark fin antenna, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Silv...515082?hash=item34097d704a:g:4GwAAOSwRaFcwxyz

and wondering two things:
- would this antenna work with the GM NAV radio? (chevy silverado "stuff' seems to be inter-changeable, when the years are close).
- Is there an XM antenna extension cable that would work? The radio has a different connector then the antenna seems to have.

I'll attach the pics for them. The XM port/antenna on the radio is the gold one:

thanks,

RonView attachment 232983 View attachment 232984

Ron, I have the factory navigation radio with Sirius/XM and Nav Traffic in mine. The antenna is PN# 25815079. Which Nav radio did you buy? There are at least 4 off the top of my head that I can think of.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron, I have the factory navigation radio with Sirius/XM and Nav Traffic in mine. The antenna is PN# 25815079. Which Nav radio did you buy? There are at least 4 off the top of my head that I can think of.

Ah, hi there James. I have the factory one (I'll attach a pic. I belive I have the wrong GM part, that antenna I showed earlier is also for cell phones etc. (cell, and XM).
I'll look up that part number and see what I can find.

(I think pretty much any XM antenna would/could work though)

Ron

1.jpg 4.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, hi there James. I have the factory one (I'll attach a pic. I belive I have the wrong GM part, that antenna I showed earlier is also for cell phones etc. (cell, and XM).
I'll look up that part number and see what I can find.

(I think pretty much any XM antenna would/could work though)

Ron

View attachment 232993 View attachment 232994

Cool, that's the newer, hard drive based system introduced in 2012. My antenna has 3 wires.

Let's ask Rene, aka @915_Tahoe to check for you.

Reaction score
The nav software updates aren't cheap or easy to come by for the hard drive based units like the earlier dvd based ones were. The update discs are coded to your VIN. The older units could use cheap dvd copies from ebay for like $10.

https://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/ho...VxqmWCh0vrAC6EAAYASAAEgIqq_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is where to find the official nav update discs. They go on sale a couple times a year.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nav software updates aren't cheap or easy to come by for the hard drive based units like the earlier dvd based ones were. The update discs are coded to your VIN. The older units could use cheap dvd copies from ebay for like $10.

https://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/ho...VxqmWCh0vrAC6EAAYASAAEgIqq_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is where to find the official nav update discs. They go on sale a couple times a year.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent them an email again last week and they responded this time. Said they are waiting for GM to authorize an update. Got busy and didn't bug GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Benito r

Latest posts