Added HIDS to fog lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did that for a while but I found that oem fog light housings tend to get water in them in the winter and it pops the bulb, then I tried some waterproof projectors those worked but the light output was whack, then I went with some rectangular 12 led light bars (1 for each side) and those work fantastic but you have be creative with making a bracket I took the oem light apart used the mount from the oem fog lights and drilled a center hole and mounted them that way, the mount is plastic so over time it will wear out sometimes they crack so a small metal bar may help. whatever you use it has to be something you can assemble and align on the bumper it can be tricky to mount them.

tc8510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had HIDS in my factory housings and they melted in about a month, only reason I noticed was they started flickering. Bought new housings and switched to LEDs. No issues since!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I did that for a while but I found that oem fog light housings tend to get water in them in the winter and it pops the bulb, then I tried some waterproof projectors those worked but the light output was whack, then I went with some rectangular 12 led light bars (1 for each side) and those work fantastic but you have be creative with making a bracket I took the oem light apart used the mount from the oem fog lights and drilled a center hole and mounted them that way, the mount is plastic so over time it will wear out sometimes they crack so a small metal bar may help. whatever you use it has to be something you can assemble and align on the bumper it can be tricky to mount them.
Have a pic of them @Doubeleive ?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Hids will eventually burn up the housing. Go leds. I’ve had both

Lowufo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 35 watt HID kit in OEM housings for years now and I have not had any issues with melting or any sign off too much heat. It might be an issue with 55 watt kit? I made sure to adjust them so they were not too high and have never been flashed from another driver. The housings have a metal shield over the bulb so they don't scatter the light all over the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan