Adaptive cruise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There really is no justification for ANY vehicle over about 50k...most any vehicular NEED can be satisfied under that price point...
When you get over that point, it’s really a matter of “But I want” and if you can really afford it or not. No shame in either game really, as long as you stay within your means...that’s what’s really important.....
Agree.

Just had a similar conversation with my son today but about cars for high school kids. He was mentioning that some of his classmates have Brand new or almost brand new cars like Camaros or Mustangs and he has a 2004 Grand Marquis. I posted out that the $1800 Grand Marquis that he drives gets him to and from school and anywhere else he needs to go just as well as the $25K to $30K cars some of his classmates are driving.

Dave Mathews

Reaction score
And I will not own a vehicle with it. Only way is if it is dual mode and I still have standard cruise control. I just cannot understand why people do not realize the inherent problems with ACC. Plugging up the left lane, following everyone like sheep all going the same speed without realizing "oh shit my ACC is on", or following a semi at 65 who is speed limited and wondering WTF everyone is blowing by you in the left lane when you originally set your cruise at 80MPH. Cell phones and ACC have become the worst traffic jam enablers in the last few years. Hang up, set your old school, cruise and stay the [snip] out of the LEFT LANE unless you are passing swiftly. I would PAY NOT to have it.
Read your manual, you can turn off adaptive cruise and it reverts to regular cruise.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put me on the list of ACC haters. Nothing about it I like.

The discussion isn't about what we like or hate about it, Its the fact that its not offered on the vehicle in this price point without additional options. A 25K base KIA has it as well as many others...
Also FYI, any vehicle that DOES have it also has old skool cruise for you haters. At least its optional, unlike Start Stop BS that's stuck on every vehicle... It still beats the heck out of constantly kicking the old cruise on and off...and there is no way you can "Forget you have it on"

I'll take a pretty good guess SuperCruise runs in ACC mode automatically if you use it....

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree.

Just had a similar conversation with my son today but about cars for high school kids. He was mentioning that some of his classmates have Brand new or almost brand new cars like Camaros or Mustangs and he has a 2004 Grand Marquis. I posted out that the $1800 Grand Marquis that he drives gets him to and from school and anywhere else he needs to go just as well as the $25K to $30K cars some of his classmates are driving.
We helped our son buy his first ride when he turned 16. It was a loaded 2003 caddy DTS. It was 11 years old with 70k miles and only cost us $3500.00. It was a safe and great car to learn on and saved our expensive SUVs and corvette from being exposed to a new male teenage driver :) LOL

P1040514.JPG

NOVA99

Reaction score
Read your manual, you can turn off adaptive cruise and it reverts to regular cruise.
Not true on last gen or GM Trucks or Yukon’s. I had 4 Denalis in Yukon and Sierra variants and if they had ACC that was it. My first go around I asked the dealer to turn it off and show me regular CC, they couldn’t and GM rep confirmed you had ACC or regular, not both. I got rid of both Yukon’s because it did not have regular cruise. My Sierra Denalis I ordered without it. In my Lincoln, BMW, and Jeep it is dual mode and offers both regular or ACC. Not sure if this is an option for 2021 new generation. If they are dual mode then that is great.

Dogged

Reaction score
You can switch modes by holding the cancel button a few seconds. A notice how to do it pops up on the screen a couple of seconds when you engage ACC.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true on last gen or GM Trucks or Yukon’s. I had 4 Denalis in Yukon and Sierra variants and if they had ACC that was it. My first go around I asked the dealer to turn it off and show me regular CC, they couldn’t and GM rep confirmed you had ACC or regular, not both. I got rid of both Yukon’s because it did not have regular cruise. My Sierra Denalis I ordered without it. In my Lincoln, BMW, and Jeep it is dual mode and offers both regular or ACC. Not sure if this is an option for 2021 new generation. If they are dual mode then that is great.

The '21's you can disable ACC, every time I turn on cruise it says it is in ACC mode and says to press the cancel button twice to return to normal cruise control. ACC was the only thing our '15 Suburban LTZ didn't have. After having it this past week, I love it.

And I will not own a vehicle with it. Only way is if it is dual mode and I still have standard cruise control. I just cannot understand why people do not realize the inherent problems with ACC. Plugging up the left lane, following everyone like sheep all going the same speed without realizing "oh shit my ACC is on", or following a semi at 65 who is speed limited and wondering WTF everyone is blowing by you in the left lane when you originally set your cruise at 80MPH. Cell phones and ACC have become the worst traffic jam enablers in the last few years. Hang up, set your old school, cruise and stay the [snip] out of the LEFT LANE unless you are passing swiftly. I would PAY NOT to have it.

With ACC, it is just controlling the speed, you still need to pay attention and chose the left lane only for passing or moving over for vehicles stopped on the side of the road. O, and in stop/go traffic on the interstate, it is great.

Adam C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a 2021 Yukon SLT. Why does the car have a gap adjust button that actually shows the gap changing from the 3 different zones, but no Adaptive Cruise Control? Does that make any sense? So the gap adjust does what exactly?

EMTPete

Reaction score
We have a 2021 Yukon SLT. Why does the car have a gap adjust button that actually shows the gap changing from the 3 different zones, but no Adaptive Cruise Control? Does that make any sense? So the gap adjust does what exactly?
I believe it just adjusts the forward collision/emergency braking distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts